1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reoccurring Code on 2013 Prius p0607

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Bamapse, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Those numbers don't look good.
    But it is supposed to be fully charged to run the test.
    Charge it up good, let it sit a couple of hours and then test it again.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ... not the first and won't be the last time a problem that apparently-went-away-after-putting-in-a-new-12-V-battery ends up doing that.

Any luck with the library website, or the fixed sign-in issues on techinfo?

-Chap

3. Bamapse

Bamapse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I charged it and then tested it and voltage when fully charged was 12.9v and when load tested it dropped to 11v. I took it to my mechanic that reprogrammed my ABS sensors last time and he tested the battery and he said it was definitely dead. Dropped below 10v at half cold cranking amps.

bisco likes this.
  4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Prius does not need the cold cranking amps since it just powers the computers & accessories. The engine is started by MG1 using the large traction battery.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there you go. easy enough, should be under warranty.

you might want to check the drain on the battery when everything is off, to make sure the car isn't killing it.

6. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Where in Nor Cal are you located?

7. Bamapse

Bamapse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am located about 45min north east of Yuba City. I took the car into the toyota dealership today and they did a full diagnostic on the battery and they said it was good. I spoke with the service people at length about this and they said the even the temp changes can cause the low voltage codes. He said they they seem them regularly come with with low voltage codes and just about anything can cause them =/. Their paperwork showed the battery voltage at 12.9v and they said you cannot run a standard lode test on an AGM battery and thats why it failed the load test. I guess we will just see if things reappear. I put 100 miles on it today after having the ABS sensors reprogrammed and no more check engine light after reinstalling the battery so we will see. It all just seems a little odd to me

8. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    HOWEVER.......a weak battery might not function right in either application.
    If after fully charging, it won't pass the "standard" CCA test, it should be replaced.

NOW......having said that.......the test needs to be done right.

You can't test the small Prius battery, barely bigger than one in a motorcycle, with the same load that you apply to one maybe 4X as large that is designed to turn over a diesel truck.

9. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Total and absolute complete BS.

Just another example to prove that mechanics these days get no REAL training in what they should know.

Let's hope that most of the problem was from not being charged good initially.

The part about "cold weather" causing a "good" battery to fail is also complete BS.
    As the temp goes down, so does the capacity of the battery.
    But a healthy one should still work just fine.

Where did you get the current battery ?
    If it fails again, you should go back there to arrange a warranty replacement.
    If that is the dealer........I feel sorry for you.

10. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I live around that area also

Raytheeagle likes this.
  11. Bamapse

Bamapse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I did buy the battery from toyota in November and if it dies again, I am regretting having to walk back into another stealership. I cant stand the places and they are not looking to "help" any one. Just put more money in their pockets. I am going to have the service guy from yesterday send me a copy of the testing results from my battery as well so I can have record of that.

12. Bamapse

Bamapse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The mechanic also tested the cold cranking amps of the battery from the prius not from a diesel truck so it should easily carry that load above 10v if its 3 months old.

13. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    What ?? Don't understand that comment.

The problem often IS that the test is done with equipment NOT designed for that size battery and therefore gives incorrect results.

14. fopoku2k2

fopoku2k2 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am having a P0136 check engine code. Any idea or information on how I can fix it?

15. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The wires to the oxygen sensors are in good shape? The connectors are engaged completely? Did you notice this after some event (maintenance, rough weather, etc)?

Prodigyplace likes this.
  16. Paul Mason

Paul Mason Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I spent a couple of hours yesterday getting the car (2012 PriusV) ready for the annual New York State Inspection. Happy with the results of yesterday's exercise, I went ahead and booked the car in to my local garage for the inspection. This morning I got a CEL
    Anyway, got out the code reader and got the code P0607. No other codes. Based on the previous threads, I checked the battery. 12.3V with the engine off, and 14.4V with it running. Went to the front of the car and pulled both connectors off the ECU. Wiggled them around a bit and then put them back on. Then I opened the fuse box and pulled every fuse that might have something to do with engine management, and reinstalled the other way around. At some point I cleared the CEL with the code reader, but of course the permanent code remained.
    Then I took the car for about a 15 mile drive, the first part of which was back roads at 30 - 40 mph, and the last part was a blast on the highway at around 75 mph. The CEL did not return, and when I checked at home, the permanent code had cleared as well.
    I imagine I'll find out tomorrow if I actually fixed it. I'll post again if it returns, but wish me luck!