1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Repair 2010 (body work) or sell as is

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by ATHiker, Jun 28, 2019.

1. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    An elderly relative had a run in with a tree branch, and I have been tasked with selling the car:
    • 60,000 miles
    • Only options are leather seats and Sirius
    • New tires (200 miles on them)
    • Garaged in Western NY
    • Great shape other than the body damage (cosmetic)
    The damage baffled the insurance adjuster. The left quarter panel that extends over the top of the door was badly dented over the top of the door. Adjuster’s photos are attached. Door and window and mirror work fine.

Adjuster’s estimate to repair was $4,600 — about $1200 for parts, and the rest for paint and body work labor. KBB estimates a private resale of about $7,400.

Question:

Should I get this repaired and then sell, or just sell (cheap) as is.
    It would be a great car for a low, low price — but only for the right buyer.

Complicating factor is the car is located out of state, and if I sell as is it might be difficult to unload if quickly to anyone but dealer or shop.

Thoughts?

DD5578FE-1368-48D1-8AC0-343EE491BD52.jpeg 592001B1-EBDE-4B25-9B63-2AA0108CDA1D.jpeg

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how would you plan to sell it privately?

are they going to get a check for $4,600. if you don't fix it?

does the door work and no leaks?

ATHiker likes this.
  3. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

Selling it privately will be a challenge. If I get it fixed, I will likely get the car retitled in my name and sell it on a leisurely basis from my home in MA. If I don’t get it fixed, I might drive it around to a number of lots in western NY and just do the best I can.

Amica has a check on the way for $4,600 less the deductible. If any hidden damage is found by the repair shop, the will cover it.

Door & Window works fine, but I would ne d to drive it through a car wash to know for sure about the leaks. Most likely none. This happen very recently.

4. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'd get an independent quote from a body shop.

Like bisco says, RU sure the insurance company is on board with cutting at $4,600 check? I recently did that when cosmetic repairs made no sense given the age of the car. The owner would have to sign releases for any "hidden" damage.

Since you are interested in "no hassle," it would be interesting to see what Carmax would offer as is. They make most of their money on re-sales to dealers at auction (not the public sales from their lots) and this car would be attractive in that market.

If the damage is all cosmetic (no leaks as Bisco asks) I think you open yourself to many additional buyers who don't care about how the car looks, and like the idea of getting a $7.4 car for less.

Personally, I think I'd price the car $4,400 firm. You'd get buyers who just want reliable transportation and appreciate the $3K discount yet the owner would clear $9,000 -- win win.

The car would be perfect for someone who only has $4.4K to spend. At that price point, the buyer is not trying to impress the neighbor, but just wants to get back/forth from work without ending up on the side of the road or in the shop for repairs. This car would be much more reliable than anything else at that price point.

RMB and ATHiker like this.
  5. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Pocket the $4,600, and sell the car for $2,800.

ATHiker likes this.
  6. bobzchemist

bobzchemist Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you're going to sell it in the $2,000 range, I'd be very tempted to fly up there myself and drive it back. 60k is low miles for a 2010. The local lots/Carmax probably won't give you much.

On the other hand, my wife is from Massachusetts, and I am 95% certain that someone in her family who still lives up that way would be thrilled to get a good bargain on a slightly beat-up car. It would only take a phone call.

Alternatively, you could be doing a very good thing for someone if you sold it locally in MA or NY on Craigslist. Cars for ~$2,000 are usually in much worse shape, and people who only have that much for a car are sometimes hurting pretty badly.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i like the idea of fishing for buyers while it's damaged to see if you can do better with the $4,600. than if you repair it.
    if not, you can get it repaired and sell.

ATHiker likes this.
  8. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks for everyone’s perspective. Seems like it makes sense to sell as is, which is what I now plan to do in a few weeks. Hopefully if will find a good home.

#8 ATHiker, Jun 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  9. bettergolf

bettergolf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There are plenty of people that would buy it as it is probably for around $4000. Added to the insurance payment you'll get at least book value if not more. The low mileage is why people would buy it.
    Let's say you find someone to repair it for $2000...or $2500. You could make a bit more maybe, but is it worth the trouble....and will it still have a clean title or will that go to a salvage/rebuilt title?

10. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    To be clear, a salvage title is only placed on a car when an insurance company has determined that it will pay the total market value of the car rather than pay for repair to the car. That doesn't seem to be what's going on with the OP.