1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Repair or sell as-is?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Cheryl Boyd, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Cheryl Boyd

Cheryl Boyd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    My daughter bought a used 2006 Prius about 18 months ago. It currently has about 185K miles on it. The battery died on her and she replaced it two months ago with a reconditioned battery with a lifetime guarantee. She's also replaced the brakes and tires. The AC doesn't work.

She thought she was good to go for a while before she could save up and get a different car. Two days ago, someone stole her catalytic converter and is now facing another $1500+ repair.

So the question is this: does she replace the catalytic converter and sell it for whatever she can get, maybe $2000 or should she just trade it in on something else? Any ideas on what she could get as a trade-in?

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

2. cthindi

cthindi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would sell it if I get 2000 for it. Most reconditioned batteries have proven to be failures. So that could be another big expense that might pop up.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you can't diy, move on to a non hybrid corolla or other low maintenance vehicle.

4. oldtechaa

oldtechaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm also in Kentucky. I assume your daughter is as well? If so, you can get an aftermarket cat legally and it will be significantly cheaper. It's only in California and maybe certain other states that OEM is required. RockAuto has a few for around $350 and you could probably get any muffler shop to replace it for ~$100.
    2008 TOYOTA PRIUS 1.5L L4 ELECTRIC/GAS Catalytic Converter | RockAuto

scona likes this.