1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Repair shop in southern California

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by sgort2, Nov 14, 2008.

1. sgort2

sgort2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Can anyone recommend an independent repair shop in southern california, my transaxle went out.

2. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Unfortunately Hobbits suggestions, fine as they are, lie several hundred miles to the north. Still worth considering if you have a suitable tow vehicle and rent a front axle dolly.

If you are really going to have the transaxle swap, I would suggest that hybrid vehicle experience may not be as important as solid mechanical skills. The cartalk web site offers a search engine for recomended shops vs. zip code. it gives a long list within 20 miles of zip 92656. I suggest that you contact some of those and 'take their temperature'.

Also we can hope for more responses from PCers in your area. meanwhile could you say more about the car's situation and we can consider the options fully?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you are planning to install a new transaxle, you'd might as well have a Toyota dealer install it so that you can benefit from the one year parts warranty. I've had good luck with Toyota/Scion of Rancho Santa Margarita for various hybrid warranty repairs, and that dealer is reasonably close to you.

If you are planning to install a used transaxle, then you'll need to find an independent shop but I do not know one to recommend in south OC. Further, there's some risk that the used transaxle will not last very long in service - the Art's Automotive website seems to have reached a similar conclusion.

What driveability problems are displayed by your Prius?