1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Repaired Blown JBL Front Door Speakers pics

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by TampaPrius.com, May 8, 2013.

1. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just repaired the blown factory OEM JBL front door speakers. I have attached pictures and a link to the repair kit. This was a 2004 Prius with the JBL System. Should work for all 2004-2009 Toyota Prii with blown front speakers.

cost $26.95
    time 2 hours

here is a link to the kit I ordered:
    86160 0W880 Toyota Prius JBL Front Door Speaker Repair Kit 2003 2009 FSK 6BT | eBay

Step 1 remove front door panel and inspect speaker. If it looks like the one in the pictures below order this kit.

step 2 drill out 3 rivots holding speaker in.

step 3 watch this video from simplyspekers.com

Our speaker are a little bit different and I have attached some pictures. If you use the video and the pictures it is a very simple repair and works perfectly.

Replace speakers with the same size screws that hold in your license plate. They can be machine or sheet metal. I used a combination of both.

Attached Files:

C Wagner, KK6PD and Dino33ca like this.
  2. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Wow! Nice job! Sure beats the $$$ buying OEM new or trying to find something to match the odd OHMs!

[​IMG]

C Wagner likes this.
  3. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice job, great pics. Reconing can be a pain, but the kit you found seems to do the job.
    Now to see how long it lasts!
    +1

C Wagner likes this.
  4. TampaPrius.com

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am doing another one of these today. I have done at least 5 cars with this problem (all 04-05). It looks like the 2006 and up speakers are a little bit different design. The cone is plastic instead of cardboard.

BTW- the repair works great and is pretty simple to do.

C Wagner likes this.
  5. TampaPrius.com

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update

After doing about 7 of these now I have realized there is no need to remove the speaker from the door and mess around drilling out the rivets. Just pull the orange band off, cut off old rotten foam, clean as much of the old glue and reglue the new foam on.

C Wagner likes this.
  6. HeavyFooted3SGTE

HeavyFooted3SGTE Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Aren't there 4 screws that hold on the woofer to the bracket? Can't you unscrew that, unplug the speaker, and then work on the speaker by itself?

C Wagner likes this.
  7. oneofmanysons27

oneofmanysons27 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Really helpful, thanks! I've got blown speakers.

C Wagner likes this.
  8. C Wagner

C Wagner Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahem. Bravo. For those of us who might want to remove 04/05 speakers from those plastic inserts that are riveted in, I did notice that there are 4 phillips screws. My issue is that even after removing the screws and politely prying with various small flat head screwdrivers, my 04 JBL front door speaker really really doesn't want to come out of the plastic insert. Has anyone had this issue and figured out the trick?

I saw a youtube video where the poster evidently had no trouble removing the speaker after the phillips screws were out -- this is not my experience. Thanks!