1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Repaired combination meter inop, used meter inop, need an assist here!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Mountain Man, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Mountain Man

Mountain Man New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    A newby to hybrids.and to this forum, I will explain the symptoms and related info as best as I can.

So I purchased a 2007 prius, had 3 cells in traction battery with low voltage, blank dash, backup camera inop, trunk occasionally inop and a horrible surge/hesitation at 45-55 w/flashing mil with each surge. Also I am unable to access DTC's through the obdll port for some unknown reason.

Replaced 3 cells with cells that had consistent voltage. Sent combo meter out for repair, when reinstalled the meter has no function. Installed a used combo meter, no function-though I did notice the used meter still had the 100mF capacitor, so it might have been faulty, when I removed it from wreck. Has new optima yellow top for 12v batt.

I have checked and rechecked my work, plugged and unplugged the 12v batt 10 or more times with no change in operations. I removed service plug from traction battery and disconnected 12v batt and no positive results-now the hybrid system warning light is now lit and the vehicle has no movement fwd or rev. (I did drive it after replacement of the 3 cells)
    I understand the complexity of what I have, but I am out of potential fixes, can anyone shed some light on this scenario??? Thanks for your time.

2. Mountain Man

Mountain Man New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Ok, let me remove a symptom from above^^^-the engine has started, (I closed the door!?!); yes, brilliance! I noted through the multi display screens that the reverse indicator is not showing that gear position and the ebrake is not showing its true staus. I'm not certain if this narrows the possibilities, but one step at a time.

3. Mountain Man

Mountain Man New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Let me take this opportunity to thank all of you for your input and timely responces!

I went on to find the ground wire for the combo meter had no ground. Upon further inspection, I noticed at the plug that the brown wire does NOT connect to another brown wire, but a green wire. The diagrams show green as relating to the odometer. I had a spare combo meter harness, so I cut the brown wire and added my own ground and PRESTO the combination meter now works, in fact now everything works!

SFO and Raytheeagle like this.