1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

repairing a salvage prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by prius-walla, Feb 11, 2011.

1. prius-walla

prius-walla Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hi

this is my first post on here so hope you guys can help.

i have just bought a gen2 2006 prius. it is an accident damaged car with very light bodywork damage. it was in excellent pre-accident condition with average to low mileage.

it just needs a new front bumper, some paint work to cover a few scratches and replacing a few mechanical bits

its these bits that has prompted me to write. i attach a picture with the 2 bits circled. can anyone tell me what these parts are..
    i believe the one circled in yellow is the expansion tank. can anyone confirm this.
    i have no idea what the black box circled in red is.

can anyone help identify these bits? any help greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. prius-walla

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ** just to clarify **
    the car in the picture isnt mine...

thats a pic i found on this site whilst searching.
    both of these bits are missing off my car hence needing to confirm what they are

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe the part circled in red is the front airbag trigger and the part circled in yellow is a resonator for the engine air intake.

2 people like this.
  4. prius-walla

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hi Patrick.

thanks for the info. its spot on..

the resonator looks pretty straightforward.

the SRS system may be more complicated, will have to see how the damaged/missing sensor has affected the system.
    the sensor would have had to be to replaced anyway so that isnt an extra expense but there may now be other hidden expenses... will wait and see.

thanks again

5. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The SRS ECU probably has to be replaced if the airbags deployed.

6. prius-walla

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    even though the front sensor got damaged/ tore off no airbags were deployed. luckily. (costs then would have been silly) expenses i was thinking of were wiring/connector damage, resetting SRS system and switching off the warning light on the dash.

it seems the car only really had the front bumper skin damaged and though it is a simple and very ecomonic repair the insurance company decided to write off the car and pay out rather than repair the car.. there must have been some logic in their thinking.

i have spoken to my insurers (a mainstream insurer) and they are happy to insure the car and it being 'CATEGORY D' made no difference. have also spoken to DVLA about the paperwork process to get it back on the road and it is really straightforward

anyway, car gets delivered tues and i've already sourced the bumper, resonator and SRS sensor and await their delivery next week. then intend to get stuck in immediately with the repair. have also lined up a spraypaint guy (wife insisted.. though i wanted to do that myself also)

i will start a thread on here detailing the whole repair with pictures. hopefully it may be of use to other members

1 person likes this.
  7. PriusTech

PriusTech Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the White box is an air resonator for the intake, to keep it quiet.

The small black thing is a vibration damper. There should be no wires going to it. I took mine off and couldn't tell the difference. It has nothing to do with the SRS sensor which is on the inboard side of the frame rail with a yellow wire connector. On several places in this car they put these dampers to decrease vibrations.

4 people like this.
  8. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good catch. I agree that if there is no wiring harness connector then that box is just a weight.

1 person likes this.
  9. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    See Folks, this is how mature responsible adults cope with errors.
    Patrick does not claim that correcting him is Rude.
    Patrick does not blame Big Dampeners for forcing patriotic American to buy vibration dampeners. He does not even speculate how much better MPG he could achieve if he removed all the vibration add-ons.

No, he complements the person who corrected him, as he should.

(You may notice that Prius Tech corrects Patrick without insulting his intelligence, parentage, or home town)

4 people like this.
  10. PriusTech

PriusTech Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    have fun with your project, I just got mine up and running after a month of work. It was wrecked in the left front, just a fender bender but it cracked the trans case

11. prius-walla

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    a small black box for dampening noise that wont be missed if not replaced..
    sweeet !! made my day..

suppose shouldnt get too happy till i get started,there may be other little surprises waitin. but i will record it all step by step and put it all on here.

thanks to Patrick Wong and PriusTech for their support.

12. prius-walla

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    update:
    car delivered tuesday as promised.
    damage:
    front bumper broken,
    front wing (fender) dented and scratched,
    resonator missing,
    rear wing scratched, front passenger door scratched and dented,
    AND.... the VSC, ABS and BRAKE WARNING lights are on.

checked 12v battery, very low so charged overnight,

cursory check of ABS system showed nothing, looked under car and WOW.. car must've run over rocks or something as trims badly damaged and some ABS wires dented and frayed. may be the cause of the warning lights on the dash so booked car into garage for diagnostics and repairs next week monday.

replaced bumper with one from a breakers, apart from a few clips needing straightening was an easy fit, looks a perfect fit, just needs paint spraying.
    tried the PDR (paintless dent repair) technique on the front wings (fenders) dent, entailed gently pushing on the dent from the inside, worked a treat.. the dent was the size of a melon now just a small crease under the 'hybrid' sign and wing indicator. this needs a proper PDR tool to take away. may buy one from Ebay or may just get the PDR guys in to finish it off.

checked 12v battery again, its not holding charge, down to 11.2 in one day.
    so battery replaced. guys from parts place gave me a 'Banner' battery which is a sealed unit, 40ah 330cca and importantly almost mm perfect in size. fitted in minutes, no hassle. £65.00 for battery with 3 year guarantee.

I serviced car:
    replaced:
    air filter,
    pollen filter,
    front and back wipers
    spark plugs, NGK iridium.
    cleaned PCV,
    oil and oil filter, Mobil oil.
    oil filter was a mission. completely stuck on. took 2 hours and finally had to pierce with a large screwdriver and literally force it off.
    couldnt check the brakes properly as locking wheel nuts stuck fast... so booked into tyre place to take off.

car having new tyres tomorrow first thing, hope they can get the locking wheel nuts off. guy from tyre place said they have this daily and shouldnt be a problem.. hope not.
    car will then be taken to the garage for the VSC and ABS faults.

once back from garage will be booked in for bodywork. will have the front and rear lower bumper trims colour coded.

waiting on resonator, wheelarch trim (splash guard) and lower bumper grill and foglight surrounds. once delivered will fit those when car back from bodywork.

then a major clean and detailing, new mats, fit reversing sensors and ready to go..

will take pics and post

13. prius-walla

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    on another note. i found detailed description on here on how to take off the PCV and replace. these entailed taking off the wiper motors and all the trims above the engine. i dont think all this is necessary.

when i was changing the spark plugs i took off the air filter box and the relay box above the spark plugs for more space. i could then see the PCV quite clearly. so i took ff the hose that connect to it by pinching the clip on it and pulling off. a 19mm socket fits perfectly on the PCV but due to the small pipe protruding on the end of the PCV i couldnt fully clip on the ratchet handle so just pushed on the handle as far as it would go into the socket and held it tight while i unscrewed the PCV.

a 19mm deep wall socket may help

cleaned the PCV and its pipe in petrol and washed off petrol. wasnt that dirty. refit was reverse of removal. just hold the ratchet handle half into the socket and screw away.

anyway this was how i did it. seemed a lot quicker then the method shown previously.

14. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the update. Regarding the PCV valve, I am not sure how you gained access without first unbolting the engine wire harness that runs over the valve cover. The engine wire harness has a plastic shield that totally covers the PCV hoses where they connect to the valve cover.

See first attached photo, taken after the center relay box and cowl assembly were removed. Second photo shows PCV valve, located adjacent to spark igniter #4, after the engine wire harness is set aside. Note the inverter coolant reservoir, located on the right edge of the second photo.

When you take photos perhaps you could also take a picture of the engine valve cover and PCV valve. Maybe the wiring harness on your car is different than the one used in Prius shipped to North America.

Attached Files:

15. prius-walla

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ** update**

VSC, ABS and BRAKE WARNING LIGHT lights went off by themselves on the drive to the tyre place. can only assume it was rust build up that was affecting the sensors.

new tyres fitted after it took 3 tyre fitters ages and a lot of cursing to take the old ones off. the old toyota locking nut were rubbish and been binned and new locking nuts fitted.

car passed its MOT. (a yearly check on the car here in the UK to verify its roadworthiness)

now just needs to be sprayed and trims fitted. i will fit aftermarket LED fog lights and parking sensors front and rear.

we have a stressfull complication as far as the paperwork goes. went to DVLA office to apply for the V5c (registration document) and was told that the insurance companty and/or the previous registered keeper hasnt informed the DVLA that the car is subject to an insurance claim. meaning they refused to issue me with papers till they have written to previous registered keeper and confirmed what i am telling them.
    they ignored the bill of sale, HPI report confirming insurance claim and that no police theft report exists and insurance documents i had and basically treated me like a suspicious character.
    the word of the recorded keeper means more to them then all the reports i presented.
    i understand this process is to prevent 'ringers' (stolen cars being resold using identities of insurance write off cars) but these days of the internet, electronic networking and email you'd think that the insurance companies and DVLA would have a more up to date process. they use ANPR to catch drivers using cars without insurance .. surely the same or similar system could be used

anyway have to wait 2 weeks till i am told by the DVLA that i can legally drive my own car.
    so word of warning to anyone considering buying a CAT C or D in the UK. make sure that the seller has the V5c log book or at least the 'part 9' of the V5c log book other wise be prepared to wait minimum 2 weeks before being able to drive your car.