1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Repairing Gen 3 Armrests

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by synth, Nov 11, 2017.

1. synth

synth Junior Member

Hey has anyone ever had success repairing the armrest on a Gen 3 Prius? Specifically, I have a 2010 where all the cushioned armrest plastic support clip (pretty weak construction) have broken so if you put any weight on them, they cave in. I am looking for a way to create support without having to replace the panel.
    With the panel removed, it appears the clips are not replaceable as they are part of the mold and the whole armrest insert does not directly overlap the panel mold except where the clips are at so a glue/adhesive does not seem like it would work.
    If you have any suggestions, please let me know.
    Thanks.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Post some pictures, the condition of the armrest, the clips you mention?

3. synth

synth Junior Member

Thanks for taking the time to look. Attached are some photos.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

danlatu and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe you can mend with some fiberglass mesh reinforcement and liberal application of two-part epoxy. And I guess from here on you have to mend your elbow-resting ways, lol.

5. synth

synth Junior Member

Thanks everyone for the thoughts.
    I was able to repair quite nicely using some epoxy gel on the nubs of the supports, and then after that had hardened to reinforce the edge with some fiberglass filler bridging the panel and the rest. Extremely solid now.
    And to be clear, it wasn't my arm-resting ways. I just don't think Toyota planned on the rests supporting the front paws of a 70lb lab who has his head out the window because he loves to go for drives in the car.

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's quite an image. (y)