1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Repairing road chips on windshield

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Berch1943, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Berch1943

Berch1943 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello , i have some few road chips that I had on my windshield for a while, I really would love to repair them. I heard that road chips must be fixed immediately after they occur, but I had my road chips for a while, at least for several months. Can I still get my road chips repaired? I really don't want to replace the entire windshield just for that.

2. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    There are some good internet resource on glass repair, with illustrations. Google it.

Chips are usually okay to leave, but cracks need to get repaired ASAP.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If a crack hasn't developed from a chip, the chip can be repaired. Some auto insurance policies provide glass coverage at no deductible, including chip repair. Obviously the insurance company would prefer to pay for chip repair vs. replacing the entire windshield.

4. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As to the age of the chip....does not matter if it was this morning or a morning two years ago. It can be repaired. The charge for chip repair is a bit steep at a lot of places.

I wait until I have two or three and then tell them I will pay the full $49 if they will repair all of them at once for that price. They always have so far.

5. Berch1943

Berch1943 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The chips don't look too large , I don't think they are cracks so I guess they could still be repaired, even after months from developing. I'll try to upload some pictures of them when I can. I was looking at this product from Amazon wondering if it's any good. a.co/ds3JkEc I prefer doing the work myself since I wouldn't trust any mechanic to do the work for me, unless it's a last resort.

6. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The DIY chip repair kits require that you expose the repair to bright sun for several hours. One that I tried during the winter is just as bad as it was before the attempted repair. I think the pros use an ultra violet light that does a better job of curing the cement than just sun exposure. So if you want to use one of those kits, I'd recommend waiting till summer.

Stevewoods likes this.
  7. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, they use something like my dentist uses for fillings. Of course, here in Seattle, that bright sun requirement means I can NEVER do it myself....LOL....

8. Berch1943

Berch1943 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you talking about the sunlight or the weather? Here I get sunlight all the time even during winter. But if you're saying that doing it in cold weather would affect the result, then I could understand.

9. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The vitamin D people tell me that if your shadow is longer than you are tall, there's not enough UVB in the sunlight produce any vitamin D. do not know what they'd say about windshield repair...

Take your car to a dentist? :D