1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Repeating P1116, P1121

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Kal Of The Rathi, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Kal Of The Rathi

Kal Of The Rathi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The mission so far. Bought the car, the control valve is shiny and was said to have been recently replaced. 12V battery is new Optima. Front splash shield is gone, others have been hacked away. No answer yet as to why, ran over a curb? High centered it? Last owner or previous.

188k on original hybrid battery, as far as I can tell.

But I have been chasing CELs (1121 and 1116) since early on and thought I had it solved. Used the pump bypass, constantly checking and filling the coolant. Then nice weather and decided to change the fluids. I have changed the transaxle fluid, the engine oil and filter.

Cooling system:
    I have changed the coolant, it was not pink (ugly dirty red, IMO). I drained coolant from three drains. Refilled both with a vacuum assist, ran the pump via the relay terminals several times. I checked the wiring for the vacuum canister sensor and the sensor. No damage visible in the wiring and the ohms were spot on for the temperature.

Today, started the car, turned on the A/C (93F outside air temp) left for my errand. In under a mile CEL came on. I couldn't get the wifi connection to the ODB-II, too many networks confused my iPad. Got back to the house, ODBFusion showed 1116, 1121. I cleared them. Coolant is top of the fill, correct to FULL on the overflow and correct in the hybrid tank as well. The pump ran briefly when I turned the car off.

I am nearly at my wits end. I must have read 20 or more posting about Prius coolant and CEL issues related to the codes.

I am currently suspecting the 'replaced' valve was either not done correctly or the valve has failed. Ready for comments, suggestions, links and advice.

AltraStache likes this.
  2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It would be reasonable to say that either the engine coolant flow control valve has failed or else the engine coolant system is clogged. The Toyota repair manual has info on how to use Toyota Techstream to move the valve across three positions, then measure voltage at two engine ECU pins. If the voltage is incorrect then the valve is deemed to have failed.

techinfo.toyota.com

AltraStache and Kal Of The Rathi like this.
  3. Kal Of The Rathi

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Okay, not completely sure if we have the complete answer but the next few steps are understood.

The hybrid pump is seeping, which might lead to the repeated P1116.
    The coolant valve is toast, which PriusChat suspected but I wanted to believe that it was new. Which it was new, but it failed. Which might well have been because their initial refill wasn't adequate. I did have to add coolant when I first got the car. It would work for awhile, then it would throw P1121 on occasion. The last time I only moved the car one car length and up it popped.

Next step is ordering the parts (FFS Amazon itself is selling the pump) but I have one more question for the team here.

The splash shields are trashed. Front is missing, next two back were cut off where they connected to the front one. The two fender shields have been trimmed back as well. Which looks like someone high centered it or ran over a curb, a slightly higher than average curb I guess.

As we are committed to the car now I need to know if the splash shields are important, or critical, or what exactly? Local yards don't have any in stock. I can order replacements but would like to push that decision out, unless team PriusChat recommends otherwise. Hopefully the local yards will come up with some eventually. I couldn't find my old car, it had them.

4. Kal Of The Rathi

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Finally solved, I think. The P1116 includes not having enough coolant. The new-ish pump was seeping.
    The control valve was indeed not fixed. New valve and pump installed yesterday. No codes, but I had disconnected the 12V. A drive is planned this afternoon so a reasonable test.

Time to call the seller to let them know the control valve was never replaced. And that Prius Chat is the answer to nearly everything Prius. Possibly everything.

Lord Byron and Raytheeagle like this.