1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Repetitive beeping, occasional dying, and a not so smart key

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SamusAran, Jan 2, 2017.

1. SamusAran

SamusAran New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    After browsing previous posts, I'm hoping to get some specific input on my 2008. About every other time I power off the car, the interior beeps repeatedly once I open the door as if I had left the key fob in. Around the same time I noticed my car kept dying in the garage, but only on the occasions when it beeps without reason (nothing is left on). If I cycle on and off, and change the gears a couple times, eventually I can turn it off and open the door with no beeps and the car wont die, even if it sits for a week. I haven't checked the voltage on the 12V although that's my next step.

Also, half of the times it gives me the beeping trouble (so about a quarter of the time overall) the display gives me the red triangle and a message about the locking mechanism and parking (sorry I don't remember it verbatim).

Another abnormality is that the smart key system no longer works. The battery in the fob is good and I can lock and unlock it with the buttons, but I can't unlock the car by putting my hand under the handle and the fob must now always be in the ignition. I don't know if they're related but all these problems surfaced around the same time.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Check your 12 V battery voltages at:
    • First thing in the morning while everything is off-note this voltage;
    • Switch the car to IG-ON (two presses of the power button with foot OFF the brake) put the headlights on and note the voltage that it stabilises at. Stop this test if the voltage drops below 10.5 V;
    • Finally, press the power button one more time to put the car in READY- note this voltage;
    Please report these readings back to us.

3. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    In addition to checking the 12 V battery voltage, check the connections at the battery posts too.
    It sounds to me like you may have intermittent low voltage......and that can be caused by a bad connection, either inside the battery or outside.

4. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    if the 12v battery is original, it is gonna be weak just from being old. that might not be your only problem, but it should be replaced anyway.

dolj likes this.