1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replace Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mikeykc, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Mikeykc

Mikeykc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I recently popped a code for bank 1 sensor 1 its air/fuel ratio sensor. I would like to replace it myself if possible. 2005 prius 227k miles. Dealer wants $450 to do it.

I have looked for a guide/write up or something on the topic but cannot seem to find anything.
    If anyone has information/pics/ knows of a write up on the process that would be great!
    From what I understand it is a pretty big job (dealer quote 3 hour labor) requires taking a lot of stuff out to reach it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have not needed to do this but I understand it will be necessary to remove the inverter, for access to the air/fuel ratio sensor. This is why the dealer labor charge is relatively high.

Prior to removing the inverter, it is necessary to remove the cowl that runs across the rear of the engine compartment. There are many steps to the process, which also requires you to drain and replace the inverter/transaxle coolant. Consult techinfo.toyota.com for access to the Toyota factory repair manual info.

3. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It may be possible to just lift the inverter out of the way:
    Spring maintenance
    Not sure, but a time saver if so.