1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replace battery or buy a 3rd gen?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mmattix, Sep 3, 2020.

1. mmattix

mmattix New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello!

I have a 2007 Prius that has been generally good to me that I purchased used for $4,400. It now has 186k on it and I noticed the mpg becoming progressively less. I know its just about time for my battery to be replaced. Not to mention there are a few cosmetic issues including paint eroding, cloth interior getting run down, and multiple scrapes from being young and dumb. Also, every once in a blue moon the dash will go black...but eventually comes back. The touch screen as well no longer works, but this is something I can live without b/c of how pricey it is to fix.

My question is, is it a better idea to pay almost half what I did for the car originally to replace the battery, or should I just upgrade to a 3rd gen and treat myself to some modern day luxuries? If so, which year is preferable ?

Thanks!

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you don't have warning lights it means that your aging battery has lost capacity, which is completely normal and still plenty of years left in it if you deep cycle 3 times to deeper and deeper levels of discharge and then recharge. You're probably down in the 60-70% remaining capacity range and you can easily restore that to 96%... Learn more here: Prolong Battery Systems | Hybrid Automotive California, USA

Additionally, if you do want to spend on a brand new battery pack from Toyota, you'll have that pack for 10 years or longer without issue and the pack is compatible with a Gen3 Prius, so you can get the most out of your Gen2 while keeping an eye out for a gen3 that's being sold for cheap because it needs a new battery.

Isaac Zachary likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they are both good and bad ideas, but you won't know until you try one.

the 07 will likely keep plugging along, but an expensive repair could happen anytime.

a gen 3 might be fine, but it also might blow a head gasket at any time.

2015 would be best, 2014 after that. consider researching the egr threads.

both gen's are subject to brake actuator problems.

4. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The cheapest option is to keep the one you have and repair it properly as things wear out.

The most comfortable and convenient option is to trade out for a newer model.

For an example, you will likely need a new battery and maybe a brake actuator. That could run you some $4,000 once all said and done. On top of that you may have some carbon to clean out of the heads and EGR system. Leaks may need attention. And don't forget to change the oil often to help keep it from clogging up the oil control rings and burning oil.

Lots of work and lots of money on an old ratty car, but the car could then last you another 10 to 15 years if you do.

Or spend more than that on a slightly newer model and drive it a few years then rinse and repeat.