1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replace battery

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Tammy Kammermann, Jan 16, 2022.

1. Tammy Kammermann

Tammy Kammermann New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Hi guys
    South Australia here
    2009 Prius with 232oookms
    Just taken it to Toyota and they tell me cell no 7 needs replacing
    They don’t replace cells just the whole system so quoted me $2400 battery with 10 year warranty and 6hrs labour at $130hr… so just over $3200 all up.
    Can I just replace a cell and will I have trouble with the car or do I just get a recycled battery pack and where the hell from or do I let Toyota rip me off with spending $3k… thanks

2. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I bought my first Prius in 2011. At that time the lowest price I could find for a replacement drive battery was $10,000 USD. But there were rumors that the price should go down.

In 2022, $3200 Aus = $2300 USD

I don't think that is bad at all. :)

jerrymildred and bisco like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    replacing a cell has a learning curve, but is doable. the downside is reliability, simply because the other cells are still 13 years old and have 230,000km on them.
    a rebuilt pack is a dark hole. there are many scammers in the us, and only a few decent companies.
    but decent companies that stand behind a decent warranty are more expensive.
    and still your not getting the quality of new, so there is a shorter lifespan, and often warranty issues to deal with nd the downtime that comes with it.
    i don't know where you would get one in oz, maybe add austrailia to your header and will get the attention of someone down there.
    if you're planning on keeping the car long term, new would be best, and even if you sell it, it would be worth more. they are only around $2.400. here, but you have to shop around, and some locations still get quite a bit more.
    still, the car will need other repairs as you rack up miles, but 09 was a tank, and can go a long way.
    all the best!

4. Abarnabe

Abarnabe Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  5. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For a NEW battery with a 10 year warranty, and labor for $3200 sound reaonable, and from the dealer!
    You won't have to worry about the battery.
    Replacing 1 cell, or a few, is a risk that could leave you stranded at the worst possible time.
    And you certainly will not get the warranty Toyota is offering, for that price.

jerrymildred likes this.
  6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes and almost certainly unless you really know your stuff and have proper equipment to get the battery balanced. And then since the rest of the battery is just as old as the part that died, it's a crap shoot how long before you have to do it again.

That's almost always buying high priced trouble. There's enough trouble in life for free, I wouldn't buy a rebuilt battery. There are a few rebuilders who are really good. Most are not. And even with a good one, you still have an old battery getting ready to fail again.

That new battery price installed from the dealer doesn't look bad to me. It's not really hard to replace. You could do it yourself and save the labor costs. But it is fairly heavy and takes a few hours if you've never done it. And not all dealers will sell it over the counter; plus, at least in the US, there's a better warranty on the new battery if the dealer installs it.

7. Eddiebrid

Eddiebrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    you can replace cells - i just did it tomy new project prius i bought with 2 bad cells . this guy from ebay his name is hybrid.sell guided me the whole way and even gave me affordable options -
    of course down the line more cells can go bad but you can avoid all that by doing it properly the first time

bisco likes this.
  8. johnHRP

johnHRP Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Ask your local dealership how much it cost to replace and how much for the whole battery part only. In Frankfurt, Battery alone €2050 with installation €2350. If you are adventurous, replacing cells alone is very cheap, and sell it. Other cells will fail soon too.