1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replace both struts AND shocks?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by hearsay, Dec 10, 2015.

1. hearsay

hearsay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Our '08 has a hair over 140k and is well overdue for a suspension overhaul. The car looks to riding way too low. A recent trip on a dirt road over a washed out gully, promtply trashing the bumper, highlighted this clearly. There seems to be swaying side to side, creaky on sharp turns, etc. Neither the struts nor shocks have ever been replaced to my knowledge.

I'm a bit confused on whether I should be replacing both the struts and shocks, or simply just the struts. I've seen plenty of threads about replacing struts, complete with OEM part numbers around here, but not sure about the shocks. The suspension on all 4 tires surely needs work, but I just want to know what parts to order for this DIYer.

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you are going to do it, do it right and replace all 4 corners using fresh mounts, boots and stops. Be ready though...you are likely going to find a few other items in need of work while doing this.

3. sillylilwabbit

sillylilwabbit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Do it all at once.

S e n t f r o m m y

4. johnnyb588

johnnyb588 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I second (or third) the all at once vote. If you don't mind, could you get back to us with some cost figures when you get to that point? I'm somewhat interested in this topic as well since both of my Prii have fairly high mileage.

5. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I concur with all the above post, do all four corners. This is a diy job that is similar to any other vehicle. Make sure you get all the necessary parts, less frustrating if you do. (y)

6. hearsay

hearsay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for confirming my suspicions all. I'm working on making out a full list of replacement parts. It's going to be a more costly repair than I'd anticipated, front struts are almost double the cost of the rear. What gives?

JohnnyB, I'll try to remember to follow up with full cost figures and a report when I'm done. I anticipate I'll do this work in a couple of weeks.

7. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Koni now offers an oem shock, the TDR springs lower the car, doing the shocks but not the springs would be, well, the springs are worn, and all the "good" springs lower the car, so, stock spring replacement with either kyb or koni shocks, price the kyb;s with all parts(a part on top of the shocks needs replacement also, 100$ each as I vaguely remember) and compare to the koni, might be surprised how the koni actually aren't much more.
    Do an alignment after doing the front of the car.

8. chelvis

chelvis Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I just replaced all my struts and shocks this year @ 220K for my '05. That seems like a long time, your mileage may vary.

9. hearsay

hearsay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've commonly seen numbers around 80k for when it's time to replace your struts/shocks. Our car is pretty noisy on the front end, so it was kind of obvious to take a look at it. As is the case with most things in cars, you tend to just get used to how rough the car may be, even when it needs maintenance. If the car is bouncing/etc, it may make you more liable to drag the bumper or fender IMO, possibly damaging the car, or at least, annoying you with having such a low car.

10. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    +1

Always get an alignment following suspension/bushing/steering work.

11. johnnyb588

johnnyb588 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Another tip, I have a lifetime alignment deal through Firestone for each of my vehicles. It pays for itself in two trips. Other shops might offer something similar, but I would recommend looking into such a deal, especially if this suspension work might be a little iterative.

hearsay likes this.
  12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just replaced all 4 corners on my 90k mile 07 bought new. All 4 struts were toast and the car has seen no mountains and fairly nice roads.
    So Hearsay hit that one on the head.

To the op's point his struts are so bad it wore out the springs. When the strut damping action is non existent the spring takes the whole load
    and works very hard which wore out his springs which is why the car is low in the back. New springs in the back are required.

And like Frodoz said make sure you buy all new boots and spacers and the top bearing assy for the front struts. I was pleasantly surprised how much better the car turned with new top bearing assys.

Its diy if the op is 20 years old, has a lot of tools,spring compressors,vice,lots of mounts,and 2 hydraulic jacks, and all day and then some.
    If your going to do it yourself since the car will be way up in the air I would:
    Change the trans fluid
    Replace the Inverter fluid
    Dump just the rad coolant and fill the rad back up.
    Clean the e-coil under the dash via the drip tube.

Thats what i do every time the car is way hi up. Every 3 years. Thats about $100 in parts. $Hundreds at the dealer.

Concerning the struts only having my tire guy do it and me buying all oem parts online was about $1000 all in including front end alignment.

2004priusgal likes this.
  13. Rph74

Rph74 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would recommend the strut/mount/coil spring assembly that is available as 1 piece for the fronts. I bought mine at Rock Auto. Huge time saver!

I noticed a height difference in the rears when I replaced the coil springs along with the struts. I didn't measure, but maybe 1 or 2 inches more of height. So it would be worthwhile to do the springs as well.

frodoz737 likes this.
  14. Clay Chapman

Clay Chapman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I recently took my 2006 prius into my trustworthy but basic mechanic who said the struts (and maybe shocks?) are a bit worn and it wouldn't be a bad idea to change them. The car has about 130,000 and as I'm the second owner I don't know if they're original. But I'm guessing they might be. I just know the car came from Ohio so I'm guessing it was mostly driven around there on highways as it was overall in very good condition. bought in 2013 with maybe 80,000 miles. I'm wondering if it makes sense to change them now or is the car too old and everything will start falling apart and therefore I should just use it as it falls apart repairing only essentials or sell it because it would be too expensive to fix everything (other things are new battery which I actually already bought--hopefully that will fix the "dying" problems similar to above) and getting a new key ($250?) made as the consequences seem dire if lost and I do lose my keys a lot, and new tires. I don't think the timing belt is an issue. So on a cost basis I'm wondering if it makes sense to replace shocks and struts and the other bits mentioned above like ?boots? etc (I clearly don't know that much about it) --I guess I would ask mechanic about that, or just sell the car and get a newer one (or deal with nyc subways and rent a car--that one is obviously a question only for me) because this one will eat too much money (which I don't have a ton of)? I did find a good deal as mentioned above on ebay for the shocks and struts but I think with install it would still run maybe $500 give or take plus boots etc. if needed. THANKS!

15. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No timing belt in a Prius. Everything else in your post just seems to be a personal preference.

16. Clay Chapman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks for your thoughts. I spoke with the mechanic who changed the battery in the back for only $45! (i bought the optima yellow top) and the car seems to get better mileage. and i can turn on the keyless feature again. or is it better for the life of the battery to just leave the SKS off??

i think i will do some research and go ahead and replace the shocks and struts although i'm a little confused since it rides badly, it's noisy going over potholes etc but know when the shocks are very worn it should bounce on the highway but it doesn't do this that i've noticed. if anyone knows what that means i'd love to know. thanks.

17. Rph74

Rph74 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it's a good idea to replace the front and rear struts. If your tires are wearing unevenly or you have a lot of tire noise, it could possibly be due to worn suspension. This happened on my 06. After only 30,000 miles my tires howled, and the noise was very annoying. I replaced my suspension and tires at around the same time, and 34K later it still rides quietly.

18. Clay Chapman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks tph74. I will do that. One thing I'm still confused about is the springs. Is that separate? I did find out the shocks and struts are original and car has 130k+ miles on her so I think it's time. but looking at the OEM parts from a dealer in indiana it looks like a good deal but doesn't include springs. so that leaves me buying those separately (I think maybe another $100) or getting one of those whole packages with shocks and struts and springs. Would love your all's thoughts on these options!

tried to include links but won't allow :(

OEM shocks and springs from dealer:
    from a bloomington indiana dealer on ebay and it's struts and shocks w/o springs for $343 with shipping.
    (ebay dealer royalsouthtoyotascion eBay item number: 272572605224)

Maxorber Full Set Shocks Struts 2004-2009 Toyota Prius (amazon shocks and struts w/o springs--only $130?!!)

Complete Set New Front & Rear Left & Right Strut Shock Coil Spring Assembly - BuyAutoParts 75-836104C New (amazon, includes springs, all together as package units for $288)

Thoughts? Or any other recommendations?

Thanks all!!

19. Clay Chapman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    update:
    well maybe it would have been better to get the maxorder at that price! but I bought the monroe full assembly after reading a recommendation above. paid $220 for the front pair from rockauto, again thanks for the recommendation. but they nor anyone else after searching for at least an hour or two had the rear assembly with spring in stock but I really wanted the $100 rebate so I bought the rear struts from stockwise auto for $150. So after the rebate from monroe the total should be $270. not exactly what i wanted but the mechanics said the front really needed it, the back not as much so I figured this would be okay. and i guess if other parts are needed i'll just have the mechanic order parts or use what they have if what i bought isn't enough for the job. btw if anyone else is interested in (this) rebate, the items have to be purchased on or before 4/30/17. (i should probably mention too that the rebate seems tricky--they mention details that are required that dont come in the invoice so we'll see how that goes...)

20. timmyjane

timmyjane Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was thinking about my suspension the other day so I went out and pressed down on the fender and released. No bounce. I have a roof rack so I grabbed it and pulled the car towards me and released and it leveled right out. I took this to mean that everything was OK. Seem reasonable to assume all's well?