1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replace Cabin Air Filter

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Rangerdavid, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Jeppefinn

Jeppefinn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Premium
    Well yes and no. Same size as the original one with the bracket, fits perfect without the bracket. There is soft material on the ends, so it is pretty tight and snug, better that the original one IMO.

#101 Jeppefinn, Nov 29, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    alanclarkeau likes this.
  2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If it fits, and does the job - not unusual. My VW ran LandCruiser rings.

3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Perhaps I need to steal the one from my son's 2015 Prius v & give it a try ;)

Mendel Leisk and alanclarkeau like this.
  4. liquidtenmillion

liquidtenmillion Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I usually go with the fram cabin air filters, they seem to outperform the OEM charcoal filter when it comes to odors. Fram still lists CF12157 as the correct filter, but still after 2 years no one stocks it.

In the meantime I’ve been buying the OEM charcoal filter from eBay for around 20$ or so.

5. Jeppefinn

Jeppefinn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Premium
    I think Toyota just saved some money on these, the gen4 filter with bracket is the same size as gen3, V etc filter... And the new one on gen4 seem really "flimsy" (not sure if that's the correct spelling that word is spelled, but too lazy to check).
    20 euros for that, now it's just a piece of "paper". Price is still the same as with gen3.
    This mahle one weighs like 150 grams, it feels really solid. And for the same price.

#105 Jeppefinn, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    Rebound and alanclarkeau like this.
  6. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If it does not fit, you must acquit!

Rebound, Jeppefinn and Mendel Leisk like this.
  7. liquidtenmillion

liquidtenmillion Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A little update it appears that FRAM CF12157 is finally starting to show up in stock. You can get it at Walmart online and at amazon. This is my preferred cabin air filter, I find it greatly outperforms the standard charcoal Toyota filter. The price is much more expensive that other Fram filters for the Gen 3, but I suspect it will go down as supply goes up. I have previously been buying 87139-0e040 which is identical in every way to 87139-58010 but made in USA for the USA built Camry. The 2018+ Camry and the 2016+ Prius use the same filters, just different part numbers based upon where they were built.

In my experience the Fram charcoal+baking soda filters outperform everything else substantially. I can drive past a dead skunk with the AC set to outdoor air and not smell anything at all. With Toyota's charcoal filters I can still smell it even if I have it set to recirculate.

krmcg likes this.