1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replace dying Hybrid battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Vince23, Aug 4, 2021.

1. Vince23

Vince23 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My 2010 hybrid battery is starting to go (reduced mpg to 43, discharging quicker -overnight and while driving, more engine on time) but the car has no issues driving and I maintained it well.

Should I wait until the battery fails or just move towards replacing it and if it I do replace should I use a 2014/2015 Prius used battery?

2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    since buying a new battery wasn’t listed as an option, nor budget constraints and back up car not mentioned, just buy the all new 2021 Prius.

dig4dirt likes this.
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nothing wrong with your pack... It just needs reconditioning... As in you can restore your pack to 96% of original capacity by simply deep cycling to deeper and deeper levels of discharge and recharge and balance a few times: BU-807: How to Restore Nickel-based Batteries - Battery University

4. Welshdog

Welshdog Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That article does not explain how to recondition a Prius battery.

5. Ed Beaty

Ed Beaty Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    "you can restore your pack to 96% of original capacity by simply deep cycling to deeper and deeper levels of discharge and recharge and balance a few times"

Also incorrect. You MAY be able to restore your HV battery to SOME increased level of performance, but 96% would be a very rare occurrence. [note: I own and use the Prolong reconditioning system for my 2010 Prius, and it DOES work, but I doubt it would ever restore my battery to 96% efficacy.]

privilege likes this.
  6. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

when you do a cycle with the prolong, what are your start and end numbers ?

I'm curious if I should try it on mine

7. Ed Beaty

Ed Beaty Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    "when you do a cycle with the prolong, what are your start and end numbers ?"

Not sure what you mean by 'start and end numbers'. What I do (basically, according to Prolong instructions): Full reconditioning cycle (every six months): Charge and balance (can take up to 24 hours), then discharge to 134V (.8V/cell; 168 cells); then do second charge and balance (ie, until voltage increase levels off); then second discharge to 84V (.5V/cell; 168 cells); then third charge and balance.

You can also then do a third discharge cycle to 17V (.1V/cell; 168 cells) and a final charge/balance, but Hybrid Automotive (Jeff) says that that has only a small effect and may not be worth the added time. I just do the two discharge cycles, which altogether can take upwards of 72 hours. My charge cycles usually end at 239-240V, but this can vary, depending on the condition of one's battery.

The deep discharges are to overcome the typical 'memory effect' that NiMH batteries are prone to.

Every three months (ie, between the reconditioning cycles) I do just a charge and balance. Takes 24-28 hours.

privilege likes this.
  8. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    woooo, that was more than I expected. I was only expecting to see the voltage variance from pack to pack, or maybe the overall state of charge being changed slightly.

cool, thanks

9. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    lab coat answer I call them.

10. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's plenty of references online that use that 96% number after reconditioning... All battery packs are slightly different, but in general I've not had any experiences that would make me question that level of recovery.

11. Vince23

Vince23 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A reconditioning unit by prolong costs 600$. Are there other cheaper ways to recondition the battery? Or should I just look into getting another battery when this one dies.

Also I see that greenbean changed there warranty to 3 years unlimited miles now.

12. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Build Hybrid Battery Maintenance Gear For Under $100 | PriusChat

privilege likes this.