1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replace Headgasket and Waterpump or new engine?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by jr33zy, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    NIce pic of the issue:).

Was there anything in the housing that could be seen as the cause of the gash :whistle:?

Usually with a scar like that, it has a mechanical cause. Just trying to understand better;).

Glad it is sorted though (y).

SFO likes this.
  2. jr33zy

jr33zy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    From what he told me its a orod7ct defrct they're seeing alot of when theyre hitting 130k to 200k in mileage. I saw another one where the gas was on the lower part of the cylinder. Nothing maintenance wise could have caught it according to him.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Robert Holt likes this.
  3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Do you have the old pump or if the mechanic is seeing this frequently, could you ask him to take a pic of another one when he gets it:whistle:?

Where I work we use a lot of magnetically driven pumps and sometimes we’ve seen the containment shell cut by a swollen magnet:cool:.

Thanks again for sharing (y).

SFO and Robert Holt like this.
  4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Got the part about the product defect with the OEM water pump at certain mileages.

But the second part I was having a time with; which cylinder was that again?