1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replace Headlamps

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by JamesK94, Jun 30, 2018.

1. JamesK94

JamesK94 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm looking at replacing both of my headlamps due to wear and tear on them. I've tried restoring them myself personally and professionally, but neither have truly restored them to sparkling new so i'm just gonna go ahead and fully replace them with brand new ones.

Is there a certain Brand/Manufacture I should look for when buying them? I'm currently planning on getting these ones:

Seems legit to me, just wanna make sure before I spend $200 on them.

Also, how hard would it be to replace them myself? Never done something like taking parts off my car before, so i'm a bit hesitant on doing it myself. Depending on how much it would cost to do it professionally, I might just go that route if it's more on the intermediate side of a skill set.

Thanks!

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

Some questions:
    • How many miles on your Prius?
    • What product have you tried to restore your head lights?
    • You’ll need to remove the front bumper cover and replace it. If you’ve never done part swapping before, are you ready to undertake bumper cover removal and replacement?
    • Are you willing to try another product before buying new?
    I had cloudy headlights on our 2010 with 181 k miles and used Wipe New which got rid of all the cloudiness:).

Cost was $10 and took about an hour to do, so thought I’d mention this prior to spending more $$$ ;).

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

3. JamesK94

JamesK94 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    -I followed this video
    and used the local shop I always use to try to restore it as well
    -How risky is that? any possible way I can damage the vehicle when removing and replacing the bumper?
    -If it fixes my current issue, sure. But i'm not too sure if that's possible at this point.

And it's not cloudiness, it's more of a scuffed headlight.

Obviously not my car as I couldn't get a good picture of what i'm dealing with, but it resembles something like this:

[​IMG]

kenmce likes this.
  4. JoeM(GA)

JoeM(GA) Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. JamesK94

JamesK94 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looks simple enough to me. Guess i'll at least attempt it before I pay someone else to do it.

Thanks!

Raytheeagle likes this.