1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replace Headlight Bulb

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Rickame, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Rickame

Rickame Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just bought a used 2006 Prius with 157K miles. The headlights seem to be working, but I did notice one off in the driveway when I turned them on and off once. Does that mean one is going bad or is bad. The man I bought the car left a set of new HID bulbs (probably aftermarket) that he said he was going to install (he liked the blueish tint they had). My question, these bulbs are D2S. The manual says my car takes D4R. Will these fit. I've read about but unclear (projection vs reflection, mercury or not, etc.) but unclear if D2S can fit in my car. Any thoughts on using these or not, or what and where to get correct bulbs for reasonable price.

2. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    HID bulbs fail slowly and in the manner you describe. You can google if a D2S will fit a D4R just as well as I can. Personally, I would just buy D4R.

3. Rickame

Rickame Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks...I will replace with D4R...Did google but really coudn't find a clear answer if a D2S will work...No matter. Thanks again

4. insaner

insaner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Replacing them is a pita. I have to turn mine on and off about 5 times but they stay in after that.

5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You should both see and read this: Not all HID Bulbs are created equal | PriusChat

It answers why the bulb doesn't light immediately sometimes, why this is bad "insaner", and what bulbs to use for what model years.

insaner likes this.