1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replace Hybrid Battery -- Where to buy dead battery to repair?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Wayne Walter, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Texas Hybrid Batteries

Texas Hybrid Batteries Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If your gonna spend $2200 on a rebuilt battery why wouldn't you just go down to Toyota and buy yourself a new one for $2500 or spend the extra $700 and get the new one from Eric? Saving 25% up front but getting a battery that will last 1/3 as long is not a savings at all.

Matt

strawbrad likes this.
  2. Texas Hybrid Batteries

Texas Hybrid Batteries Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Where are you gathering your information from Wayne? I've never seen any report of a new replacement hybrid battery failing, EVER! That's why if you want to do it once and never worry about it again you get a new battery.

#122 Texas Hybrid Batteries, Jan 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  3. Wayne Walter

Wayne Walter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well those are the installed prices. Prices are different for me since I will install it myself. Here in my area the prices are lower for some reason. So $1,100 for Dorman versus $2,100 for a new one.

It's true that there is reason to have "faith" in brand new batteries. But in my mind they are only guaranteed to last 12 months by Toyota. So in the off chance that the battery dies after 18 months, and force me to buy another battery, that will totally piss me off beyond measure and hate Prius for all eternity. That will make me take this Prius to the junk yard and thrilled at watching it smashed to smitherines and then dance on it's grave.

Saving 50% for guaranteed 3 years is a real bargain and calms down my frustration of all the money we're throwing into this supposedly cost efficient, fuel efficient car. In my mind, the cost of batteries over the life span of Prius kills any potential savings on fuel efficiency.

But since it will only cost about $1,100 and guaranteed for 3 years, then I'll accept the Prius are cool and reliable cares in every other way even if not economically efficient.

4. Wayne Walter

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well people recommended Eric's advice. And he's been replacing batteries for 10 years. Am I mistaken? I recall him telling me on the phone that he has customers that suffered early factory battery failure. Sure that's rare. And he said most of his customers opt for new batteries just like you. And I will recommend new to my customers but please respect my decision.

At this point in my frustration with Prius batteries I'm not willing to take that risk of new battery failure even if it is 1 in 1 million odds.

5. Wayne Walter

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm willing to be corrected if Eric will assure me that new batteries never fail. I might have heard wrong.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think many people are mistaken on their thought process of comparing warranty period with the quality of the product. A refurbished battery with a 3 year warranty will not be better than a new battery with a 1 year warranty.

It's like buying a certified used car with a 100k miles warranty vs buying a new one with only a 36k miles warranty. Which one is better?

As the warranty goes, it's only as good as the "company" that's backing the warranty. If it's a national company like "Dorman" or "Toyota", you know your warranty is pretty golden and will go the distance. If you go with a 1 man operation, craigslist deal and get something with a 3 year warranty, that will only be good if you can find the person again when you need them. I can offer you a 10 year warranty on a refurbished battery for $3000, but that does not mean my batteries will last 10 years or will that mean I'm going to be alive in 9 years when you need service.

My meaning of "cost savings" on my post was from the expenses you are planning or expenses you've already spent.

$1000 - last battery with 1 year warranty
    $500 - used battery
    $2200 - another used battery with 3 year warranty
    $xxx? - downtime and inconvenience associated with battery failure

A new battery, DIY maybe $2500. Even if your car blows up in a year, that "NEW" battery will still have significant value in the marketplace vs a refurbished battery. This is my meaning of "cost savings" Do it once and forget about it.

7. Wayne Walter

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And it's important to think of what the customer most wants. Is it worry free driving? or the most economical choice? for me I want the financial lack of worry more than the lack of risk of a battery failure.

Hey if we were talking about the brakes for the car, that will be different story. With brakes, lives are at risk.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    customers want a solid battery at a great price. that's what makes the rebuilding business so difficult.
    the more time you put into perfecting the battery, the closer you get to the new price.
    you can't look at yourself and think, 'oh well, if it fails, i'll just repair it again'. we already have that model, and most people are fed up with it.
    new batteries will continue to come down in price, so you will need a paradigm shift in rebuilding technique and reliability to make a go of it.
    i think that's your goal, is it not?

Lithium MPG likes this.
  9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Think back to your conversation with Eric and his recommendations. And think back to where you finally ended with the conversation, you agreeing to buying a $2200 battery from him. You already know you can buy a used battery for $500

So you have to think to yourself what have you gotten out of the phone call with Eric or what he has gotten out of you.

strawbrad likes this.
  10. Wayne Walter

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    JC, first, we agree totally about 1 man operation reconditioned batteries.

But when it comes to new versus Dorman. It's a personal decision.

I'm taking the option with Dorman which is ZERO chance of spending any more battery money for 3 years. And that is costing me HALF of the new battery cost since I'll install myself.

There is a concept in finance called the "time value of money". My cash right now is WAY more valuable than cash in 3 years from now.

In 3 years that car could get totalled or gas engine dies or whatever else--it's already 11 years old. My daughter might even trade if for another car in 2 years. And I can use the $1,000 saving for another investment.

IF, we still have that car in 3 years and it's still otherwise in good condition and IF we are still alive and IF the dollar still has any value, and IF IF IF, then I will simply put another Dorman in it for another 3 years.

Anyway, that's how I see it. Because I want to keep my $1,000 bucks right now and use it for something else more urgent.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed, but there is also value in time. breaking down at an inconvenient time, because you chose to save money, having to remove, return and replace a battery, even though it is under warranty, these are serious aggravations which come at a cost.

12. Wayne Walter

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, if there is a misunderstanding. Eric recommended me to buy a battery locally not through him since he is comfortable that I can safely install it myself. I was only quoting Eric's prices for installed for comparison purpose.

Eric is incredibly honorable guy in my opinion of only a few conversations with him. It's clear that he works out what is in the best interest of each person based on their financial situation and skill set and so forth.

In fact, he talked about the situation where somebody is a college student and just bought a used Prius and has nearly zero cash to afford either a new or a Dorman battery. In that case, for that person, he will swap a module for them to get back on the road.

While you have very kind intentions, you seem to only be thinking about your situation is and your needs and your goals and your perspective and your financial resources and your abilities.

Every person and every situation is different. The reason Eric is so well respected (including by me) is that he figures out what each person needs.

And most of the time that is a new battery that he installs for you.
    Sometimes they cannot afford that or just prefer rebuilt battery.
    And rarely somebody is so short of funds that even a module swap is the thing.

But if people (like me) can install themselves, then Eric gives much more
    information and guidance on the tools and safety to get it done.

Eric is the man!

13. Wayne Walter

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Exactly, if you were in business, then it will be incredibly honest and smart of you to explain all this an then allow the customer to choose what is more important to themselves. Lower cost now and more hassles later or higher cost now and mostly trouble free.

Not everyone will make the same choice. I choose lower cost. And I'm not alone in this point of view.

bisco likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed. it's the people who purchase, not knowing all the choices and ramifications that i feel sorry for.

15. Wayne Walter

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also, I respect other who opt for higher price and trouble free.

In fact, Eric totally convinced me to offer this option as I build my business since he said that the vast majority of his customers opt for new and trouble free.

But a percentage of his customers opt for Dorman. I'm one of those personally.

But I will always give my customers the choice and explain the difference that new is certainly better risk long term. They can last 8 or 10 years or longer if properly cared maintained.

Dorman will probably never last more than 4 or 5 years at the outside.

It's a choice.

I greatly appreciate you all trying to make the choice clear to me. But I'm very clear and opt personally for Dorman.

16. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wayne,
    I'd wish you good luck but you wouldn't know what to do with it if you got it.

upload_2017-1-15_10-11-39.png

You've been all over the place with respect as to how you are going to replace the pack in your daughter's car and getting into the rebuilding business.

While your "get up and go" attitude is admirable, I see your hubris as the major impediment to future success as a rebuilder.

strawbrad likes this.
  17. Wayne Walter

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OMG, Bisco, that is so true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

18 months ago when her battery first died, I wish that I had all the facts and information that I have now. I was ignorant and they guy who solve me that reconditioned battery didn't education me---frankly I don't think he actually knows all this. He was super nice and totally hassle free to come replace the battery during warranty. He's a great and nice and honorable nice guy.

I just wish he was more knowledgeable and gave me all the options.

I do feel for people who make Prius battery decisions without all the facts. And when I'm in business I will explain it all clearly....new versus dorman and also module swap. And how long each could last....10 years, 5 years, and 6 months. And the relative prices.

Then I will respect their choice.

bisco likes this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wish there were a way to get every newbie prius owner here, when they buy, or better yet, before.
    priuschat is such a valuable asset to the community. and while we don't have all the answers, and don't always agree, you leave being way more informed than when you came.

Eastside likes this.
  19. Wayne Walter

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I regret you feel that way. I tried to be clear that I respect everyone else's point of view and decisions of new versus rebuilt.

And yes, I totally changes my views after Eric spent time thoroughly educating me.

OMG, his knowledge about reconditioning batteries and all the "gotches" is astonishing.

I was really convinced reconditioning batteries myself was the way to go but Eric kindly and patiently showed me every possible flaw in that plan.

So now I see that new is best if a person can and willing to pay, the Dorman is next best, and finally module swap for those seriously strapped for cash.

I don't think I'm smarter or better than anybody. But I have a right to choose which battery for my daughter's car right?

bisco likes this.
  20. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No, my intentions are not really thinking about my situation, it's thinking about your situation because this is your post. This a public forum and there will be many people giving advice and opinions, you just have to figure out for yourself which fits you best and in your best interest.