1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replace Hybrid Battery -- Where to buy dead battery to repair?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Wayne Walter, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Wayne Walter

Wayne Walter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ditto. Thanks for understanding Bisco. And thanks for respecting my right to choose what's best for our family. You're awesome!

bisco likes this.
  2. Wayne Walter

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well that's good. Sorry it was only an impression. Thank you.

If this car was 5 years old, I will go for new in a heartbeat.

But it's 11 years old already.

However, others might still choose new in this situation. And that will be equally smart depending on their situation financially and how long they plan to keep the car, etc.

3. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm still reading though this thread, but I just wanted to say I have not seen Toyota replacement battery with NEW cells fail inside the warranty period. (1 year or 3 year)
    Except for one time because of installation error. (Mistorqued connections)

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In your situation now, you already have all the extra modules from your $500 purchase. Just rebuild that battery and use it. Yes you'll be doing it again but you don't seem to be bothered by it. You have all the parts and knowledge to do it, so just go for it. Don't spend another $1000+ on a Dorman

Nothing is cheaper than DIY

strawbrad likes this.
  5. Wayne Walter

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I appreciate you realizing that cash out of pocket is a huge factor for me!! And I appreciate your desire to help. And since I have some time I'll respond since maybe you'll have some excellent advice that I didn't consider yet.

First, this $500 battery is from a 2004 Prius with high miles--but I didn't get the exact. I guess 200,000. So it's even a little older and worse condition than the one in my daughter's car now. And the local battery guy will buy it back from me for $600 (Actually he wants the battery in the car instead of this one so I'll swap them when returning a core but still get $600 so it's the same).

"You have all the parts". this is the tricky thing. Just swapping any dead module with another will make a battery sure to fail in several months. Getting exactly the right module is impossible unless I buy up many batteries (like Dorman does) catalogue and compare them to find exactly the best matching module. So in effect I don't really have the right parts available to me.

So for me, that means only $400 more for a professionally rebuilt battery that can likely to last for 3 to 5 years and warrantied for 3 years and 36 miles (even though it's possible that is will fail early and get replaced that will be fine).

Replacing a battery is much less work and hassle than reconditioning which involves, opening a battery, removing the bus, cleaning the contacts thoroughly, recharging the modules individually, possibly replacing a module, and then balancing them all together. Then when it fails in several few months doing it again. No thank you. Others might choose to do this since it will be very low cost if they know how to do it and willing to do all that work to save the cash. It's a choice.

In my situation, it seems better to simply replace her battery with a Dorman.

6. Darin

Darin New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Sorry to post here, but I can't find how to post a new thread. The video that I watched is out of date I guess.

Any help?

7. Wayne Walter

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for correcting this.

So still it's more about cash now versus hassle. I agree then that new is "hassle free" for at least 5 years.

And Dorman is warranteed for 3 years and 36K miles but might need replacing during that time.

I still choose Dorman for $1,100 versus new $2,100.

It's because of the age of this car already and how valuable cash is to us right now.

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Have you opened up the 2004 pack and check the voltages? I haven't read all your posts but is that pack good or does it have failed modules?

9. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  10. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No you're going to pay $1000 for the Dorman. You bought the 2004 pack and are getting your money back +100 from your rebuilder.

So, you are definitely out of the rebuilding business, right? That was not clear before my post with the Adam Baldwin photo.

11. Wayne Walter

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    JC, I was just about to open it up when I called Eric about a question.

My thinking was that I could recondition it "really well" with Eric's advice and get
    2 or 3 years out of it without failing.

Eric, was patient and walked me through all the options and ways to recondition
    it -- and everything he said jived with what I already learned. Except there was
    one hole in my understanding which was "how to match a replacement module".
    I review that as one small details but Eric helped me see that is that HUGE
    big deal that Dorman solved but it's extremely difficult for an individual.

So I dropped the idea of even bothering to open up the $500 one and simply
    use it as a core to get the Dorman. And then after replacing the Dormong
    into her car, the local guy wants the one out of her car back (which he installed
    6 months ago). He says that one is newer and better than the $500 from the 2004.

12. Wayne Walter

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Sorry, I'm going to explain 3 choices to customers when I feel I'm ready after replacing my daughter's battery and some more training and help with Eric.

1. New battery with 36 months warranty -- only from the dealer that will last over 5 years
    2. New battery with 12 months warranty that I will install and will last over 5 years
    3. Dorman with 36 months warranty that might last 4 or 5 and might fail during warranty.
    4. Module swap that will fail in 6 months or less. I will highly discourage this option.

But since I will still over option 4 if someone insists that's all that they can afford or whatever reason.
    I guess you can say that I'm still in the rebuilding business. But primarily in the battery installation business.

13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you already buy the Dorman?

If not, open up that battery from 2004, remove all the bus bars, then you can safely handle that battery. Take voltage readings to see if all modules are over 7.2 volts. If all the modules are over 7.2 volts, chances are, the battery is good and you can just install it and give it a go.

strawbrad likes this.
  14. Wayne Walter

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    JC, you're making me consider doing that even if only for curiosity and the experience of playing with it.

But with other things going on in my life right now. I probably won't take the time. Thank you for your concern.

15. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you do option 4, are you going to offer any warranty? If not, you will need to state in writing that there isn't one. Or, you need to be ready to do another module swap during the six months warranty that you do provide. You would also need to be careful not to do too many of these in a short time span otherwise you might not be able to satisfy your customers in the unlikely event that two customers experience pack failure simultaneously.

As to installation of packs, you'd be smarter to charge a flat fee for the replacement and have your customers buy the packs on their own. That way they are responsible for returning the pack to Dorman if it fails and you can install the replacement for them when it arrives. This essentially means that you're guaranteeing replacement services that match Dorman's pack warranty duration.

16. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It is not a long process, takes about 15 minutes with a small impact wrench/driver.

There's a lot of learning and frustration involved in rebuilding a battery. You'll fail and have to redo it again....over multiple times. So you'll spend a lot of time doing it before you can perfect the process. But if you like the challenge and you have the time......it may be something you would want to do. If not, then Dorman would be a good option

17. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not a sure thing for everyone. Some people have been lucky at getting their rebuild to function properly on the first try with the rebuild lasting for more than six months;).

18. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My meaning is 6 months is a failure

19. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What do you consider is a successful rebuild then - a year, two, three?

20. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think if you don't get over a year, it's a failure. And many batteries don't past the 1 year test.

Just the trouble of taking it out and rebuilding. The discharge times, charging times, down times. Just a bit much....