1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replace minivan

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by govind chettiar, Dec 7, 2018.

1. govind chettiar

govind chettiar New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A

Firstly an apology- I don't have a Prius at this time but to sign up I had to say I owned a Prius C

I have a 15 yr old Odyssey minivan (with relatively low mileage of 80K) that I'm looking to replace with something that gives me better fuel economy. Just on a whim I was considering the Prius as an alternative.

I was wondering
    a) which variant of the Prius would work for me. Definitely don't need the carrying capacity of the Honda anymore but still would have airport trips with 4-5 largish bags
    b)is there like a website that tells me what is the best price that I can expect to pay in my vicinity (I live in NC, US)

Thanks

2. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you are the original owner of that car and have only driven 80,000 miles in 15 years I would not recommend you get a Prius. Not driving a Prius very much is hard on the battery.

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Gen2 Prius are starting to look like the best build and easiest to maintain of all 4 generations of Prius... Prius C has an underpowered battery pack and same engine problems as a Gen3...

Of course Gen4 hasn't been around for a while, so maybe in the long run it might be best, but I doubt it. So Gen2 is the way to go.

And as poster said about about how often you use it, which isn't so much a mileage thing as the fact the hybrid battery pack is less reliable if it regularly goes 4-days or longer between use... But it you drive 5 miles a day 5-6 days a week, not only will a Prius be great for you, But you'll only be filling up the gas tank every couple-few months.

govind chettiar likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

rav4 hybrid

and i apologize for making you pick a prius c to join :oops:

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Were you planning on a new or late model Prius or a used older generation one. It's all about money.

6. Sooner Al

Sooner Al Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    We traded in an old Dodge Caravan for a 2016 Prius v. It has almost the same cargo space as the van did. You might look at a Prius v as an alternative. Around town, where we do the majority of our driving, we get 45+ MPG. You can't beat that IMHO...

7. govind chettiar

govind chettiar New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you. Yeah, the Honda mileage is low because mostly used for dropping the kids off at school which is quite close. But will be driven regularly.

I was thinking I would just go with a new car. In 20 years in the US I have bought 3 cars, the first was used and I donated it after 11 years the other two are new.

Looks like Prius V is discontinued in favour of Rav4 Hybrid?

Any thoughts on the 2nd question, i.e. a website that might tell me reasonably accurately how much people paid? I was told TrueCar is one such.