1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replace OEM Radio with JBL system audio with navigation

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Princedunet, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Princedunet

Princedunet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    III
    Hello guys..
    I baught i used prius with normal radio unit with non Jbl speakers and I want to upgrade to a JBL audio system unit. Am asking if I can just replace the old one with JBL unit and it works with my old speakers or there is some installation,

Burna J likes this.
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

My understanding is that the JBL system includes more speakers (eight: two under the windshield, one in each front door, and two in each rear door). It also has a separate amp that lives under the passenger seat, so you would need the amp as well as the headunit, and you would have to arrange the wiring between the two. I suppose you could leave the amp's extra speaker outputs unconnected if you didn't want to install the additional speakers. Installing the additional speakers might involve changing the door trim panels (and checking whether you have the right wiring to the doors).

Whether the non-JBL speakers are rated to handle the output of the JBL amp, I do not know.

-Chap

3. Princedunet

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for answearing, I have speakers non-jbl installed in front and rear doors, as I understand from your answear, the jbl unit will work even without jbl speakers? So I just replace the normal radio unit with the jbl one and plug-n-play?

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

You should probably count the speakers you have. I believe the JBL system has eight. Your system may not.

Also, as I wrote above, if you install the JBL head unit, you also have to install the JBL separate amplifier. Finding out whether you have the necessary wiring, or providing it, is a task for you.

I also wrote that I do not know whether the non-JBL speakers can handle the output of the JBL amplifier. You would need to compare the specifications yourself.

-Chap

5. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  6. Princedunet

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    III
    I searching and i found that the JBL audio system is the best, that why u want baught one, but as Chap said, I must have an amp to work, so Should I baught non-jbl unit to just replace my radio unit with a touch screen ?

7. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The factory JBL radio is superior to the factory non-JBL radio. Many aftermarket radios are superior to the factory JBL radio.

The factory JBL radio requires the matching factory JBL amp! You will then have to run wires from the JBL amp to each of your speakers via direct connection or via the factory harness.

Aftermarket speakers will work with the factory JBL radio and non-JBL radio. You would just want to get a speaker that is close to the power output of the whatever radio you ultimately choose.

8. Princedunet

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    III
    Thanks to every body for the information, so kind