1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replace original horn with Lexus LX600 genuine horn

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Mksky, Mar 28, 2023.

1. Mksky

Mksky Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I just saw this video of how they replaced Prius's original horn with the Lexus LX600 genuine horn in Japan.

The parts list:
    1 x horn assy, high: 86510-60300
    1 x horn assy, low: 86520-60250
    2 x horn screws (unknown part number)
    1 x custom build harnesses using 2 of 90980-10619 plug (if anyone knows how to custom make it please share)

Note: there might be third-party harnesses in the future according to the video.

2. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I replaced the horns in all the Prii I have purchased. A 2005, 2006, 2012 hybrid and my 2017 Prime. If anyone needs any OEM horns I think I have at least 4 (2 pair) still in the garage.

I always used the Lexus "deluxe" horns found on several websites and e-bay. The advantage is that the ones I got used the same plug as the Prius, so no wiring changes are needed. The mounting arm on the Lexus horns are in a different position so a large nut has to be loosened, the arm rotated, and the nut retightened. A good vice or woodworking bench is useful here. I have small hands, so I have always been able to do it with only removing the plastic cover in front of the radiator that is around the hood latch.

It is enough of a pain to do it that I have always just bought new horns each time. I was hoping that Gen 5 might use nicer horns rather that the quiet toot-toot roadrunner sounding horns. The Lexus ones are nice and musical. I think I did a write up back in 2006 with photos on this forum. The 2012 car was the hardest (tightest) and 2017 was the easiest to get my hands in there.

So what do the Gen5 horns sound like?

GcinFl likes this.
  3. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I looked around in the garage and located the box from the horns I used in the 2017 Prime. It was labeled PREMIUM HORN 08522-B1010 and had two horns, two wiring harnesses, bolts, spacers, cable ties, and instructions in Japanese. The kit looks like what the guys in the video were using. I purchased it from Sigma Automotive that handled OEM parts from the Japanese market. They seem to be out of business.

The only parts I used were just the two horns with the wiring and mounting bolts from the Prius. Everything else is still in the box along with my old horns.

Couldn't find the box with the other old horns, I guess I tossed them when I was doing the install on the Prime.

It cost me about $100. Here is the exact same kit on ebay for $86.83: TOYOTA GENUINE Land Cruiser 200 Lexus LX570 Premium Horn 08522 - B1010 | eBay

4. PhoS

PhoS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I did this mod on my other Toyota. On that one all I needed was the high tone. (PN: 86510-60240) as the low tone was already installed. (PN: 86520-60200) The bolt is very likely just an M8 thread with a washer, Otherwise it's easy to wire up. The horns would be wired in parallel. You only need the one positive wire as they ground to chassis. I will do this mod to my Prius shortly, the stock horn is embarrassing. :oops:

#4 PhoS, Mar 28, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2023
    GuardianGrayHalcón likes this.
  5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You don't really need Lexus deluxe horns.

The Gen 3 folks have been installing FIAMM Freeway Blaster dual tone horns. I wouldn't be surprised if the Lexus horns are re-labelled FIAMM horns.

Horn Upgrade --- DIY | PriusChat

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Cruzctrl1 likes this.
  6. Larry Kay

Larry Kay New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    They sound like toot toot roadrunner sounding horns. I'll be ordering new horns ASAP.

7. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Roadrunner goes Meep Meep, not toot toot.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

8. Toymeister

Toymeister New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Adding Fiamm high and low tone horns was an easy job. There is room for both using the same mounting bolt. You can use the original wiring harness by making a small harness.

Make a pigtail with two 6" wires, spliced and connected to one male spade crimp on connector. The solace is at the male spade, creating a 'Y'. To the opposite end of each wire crimp on a female spade.

The horns come with a jumper to ground each horn. The pigtail wires the horns in parallel and is plug and play.

9. Jim Call

Jim Call Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Ordered and just received this Lexus dual horn kit off of eBay. Got it installed and everything fits and works perfectly! WHATTA difference! No more wimpy horn for sure!! It'll make you ears bleed if you accidentally honk in the garage!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284798809849

PrishopAWD and Hamid Ali like this.
  10. Exerted

Exerted Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry if it's been answered, but is this something that is plug and play? I really don't want to be splicing/cutting any wires at all.

11. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I will have to look into this....I recently beeped at a deer next to the road and, I swear, he looked at me and laughed!!

vvillovv, 2023p and Tiberius like this.
  12. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    This is one of the suppliers to Lexus-Toyota. I use them.

Piaa 85110 115db 400HZ + 500HZ Sports Horn

Little or no modification of the OEM wiring is required.

They are Made in Japan

ColoradoBoo and Tiberius like this.
  13. Jim Call

Jim Call Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Completely plug and play from a wiring point of view. No cutting or splicing involved.

Hamid Ali likes this.
  14. theRob

theRob Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    How about mounting it? Any modification needed or it just goes on with no issues?

15. Jim Call

Jim Call Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    You'll be replacing the original horn as well as adding a second horn. Mounting points are already provided in the Prius for both and the kit contains both horns, wiring loom, new bolts and various spacers and zip ties not really needed. All easy peasy.....

16. ptweezy

ptweezy New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Any chance you could provide a picture of the installation instructions? Super new at this and was curious about doing this.

theRob likes this.
  17. Nicad

Nicad New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Boy they did a lot of talking before getting to it. Just wondering if a relay might be advisable if running two larger draw horns?

18. Jim Call

Jim Call Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Voltage draw is still nominal so simply not an issue...

samsprius1 likes this.
  19. samsprius1

samsprius1 HEV Fanatic

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I just got a price drop on these! I ordered set last week I’m going to put it in tomorrow or next! If you watch the video at the beginning, you can’t understand the Japanese,,but you get the idea what they’re doing looks pretty simple! Looks like just about anybody could do it I will Take pics when I do install !!
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/195036742831?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=wtmacsihtv6&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=uHvBtOSgSMy&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Juan Figueroa, PrishopAWD and theRob like this.
  20. Jim Call

Jim Call Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    The installation instructions are in Japanese. However, if you simply remove the plastic bonnet, the installation becomes obvious with removing the original horn, replacing with new and installing the second horn on the other side of the same area. The wiring loom is simple and self explanatory. Here's some Dual Lexus Horns-3.jpg Dual Lexus Horns-2.jpg Dual Lexus Horns.jpg pix of the finished installation. Might not be too helpful but you can see them.