1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replace original horn with Lexus LX600 genuine horn

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Mksky, Mar 28, 2023.

1. Mksky

Mksky Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks for the reply. I thought it was not doable so I went ahead and brought another set with the correct bracket position....... If anyone wants a new unused horn let me know. I'll let it go for cheap.

2. wrtboy168

wrtboy168 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    is there such a thing as a triple horn setup? let's say the original single 'meep meep' disc horn has been upgraded to the dual lexus lx600 snail horns but the 'meep meep' horn can be mounted in another suitable location. can all three horns be safely wired together? perhaps a silly idea. :D

3. purplePriii

purplePriii Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It should be possible with thick enough gauge. I take horns just take a ridiculous amount of power.

You could also just install an air horn. I had a couple on motorcycles and those were great.

For people who installed the Lexus horn, how many installed it per the guide? The one I got seemed to imply the bumper should come off so the second one can be installed lower to the ground by the wheel. Looking at pics and videos, it seems people install both behind the front grill.

Also the brackets didn't all allow to have the horns pointed down so I tried installing them at an angle that water shouldn't get in. Am I overly paranoid to think that too close to the centre sensor or the headlights could cause issues down the line with vibrations or the likes? I think it's silly but I was looking at the area when I opened the cover and test fitted them

4. wrtboy168

wrtboy168 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    @purplePriii , i have installed the dual lexus snail horns shipped from nagoya jp. there is absolutely no need to remove the bumper to get to the horn mounting areas. i had to reuse the original 'meep meep' horn bracket because one of the lexus snail horns bracket is longer than the other one. the horn nuts can be loosened for you to adjust the horns so they would be pointed down. it's a tight area hence a 12mm flex ratcheting wrench is your friend. you will also need a 14mm wrench and a p3 head screwdriver to loosen the horn nuts.

5. purplePriii

purplePriii Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I did exactly that as well but the manual I got mentioned removing the bumper and placing it lower than the grill, close to bottom, on the passenger side. I'll see if I can post a pic of the page tomorrow

6. NullDev

NullDev Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I also purchased the 2 tone horns from Japan. I'm somewhat concerned about fuse/wire/relay issues due to the amperage, so I plan to do an amperage comparison between the original and the 2 tone replacements. Since I haven't done the swap yet, I hooked each horn up individually to a benchtop power supply set to 13V. I figured this was a good average voltage between a charging and non-charging 12V system. Each horn individually pulled about 3.5 amps for a combined total of 7 amps.
    Once I get the original out, I'll do the same test. I'll also see if I can determine the wire gauge.used in the car. Unfortunately, I do not see any identifying markings on the splitter wire that arrived in the kit. The outer diameter of the insulation is 2.15mm for what that's worth.

Jabog6 likes this.
  7. Jim Call

Jim Call Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Never hurts to have that info, but I've been using my Lexus horn setup for over 6 months now with no issues. I'm sure you won't have any either.

wrtboy168 likes this.
  8. wrtboy168

wrtboy168 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    i rarely use the horn but yesterday someone was weaving in and out of traffic and it felt good hearing the lexus horns instead of 'meep meep.' :cool: the vehicle continues to weave in and out as i saw several other drivers' tail lights brightly lit up to avoid contact. maybe somebody has a dashcam to catch the plate number.

9. purplePriii

purplePriii Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I am late but this is the page I was referring to in the install manual I got. I am just going off of the picture. It looks like you remove the front bumper and place the second horn on the otherside past radiator and ac
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. wrtboy168

wrtboy168 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    hi @purplePriii, the lexus horns were not originally intended for the 5th gen prius but can be easily installed with a few workarounds e.g. swapping one of the brackets and repositioning the brackets before installing.

the right (2nd) horn is not installed on the 5th gen prius like what you see on the japanese instruction. it's mounted on the mirror opposite side of the 'meep meep' horn. use the new m8x25mm bolt from the lexus horn kit to mount the right (2nd) horn.

here's the yt video showing the installer didn't have to remove the bumper to install the dual tone horns. i mounted mine facing out with the bells facing down.

#70 wrtboy168, Feb 22, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2024
    purplePriii likes this.
  11. NullDev

NullDev Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I finally had time to do the horn swap. Wow, what a difference! I suddenly feel like... wait, what's the opposite of neutered?? Whatever that is, that's what I feel.

RoadPoppy likes this.
  12. George Jetson

George Jetson New Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    What’s the point of swapping one of the brackets? I had to rotate one of the brackets 90 degrees to face the horn downward but other that that they fit fine using the brackets that came with them. They do sound great!

13. NullDev

NullDev Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    One of the new horns comes with a bracket that is longer that stock. When mounted, the mouth of the horn was a bit too close to the foam bumper (I faced my horn opening straight down). I swapped the longer bracket for the stock bracket and we were good to go. When I peek through the front grille, I can see the lettering on both horns is right side up and level.

George Jetson likes this.
  14. wrtboy168

wrtboy168 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    the two brackets from the japanese lexus kit are of uneven lengths. swapping one of the brackets would result in a more symmetry look with having two brackets of equal length. you are right in pointing out swapping is not necessary when it does not affect functionality.

George Jetson likes this.
  15. Mksky

Mksky Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I just done the upgrade and it sounds so much better.

Anyone need the horn set with the part number 08522-B1010 let me know. I have an extra set with all the parts unopened please let me know. I'll let it go for cheap. ;)

16. NullDev

NullDev Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I finally had a few free moments to take an amperage measurement on the stock horn. At 13.1V, it pulls about 3.4 amps. By comparison, the Lexus replacement horns pull a total of 7 amps at the same voltage.

Does anyone happen to know the amperage of the horn fuse? I haven't opened my fuse box yet to see if it's obviously marked.

17. wrtboy168

wrtboy168 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    10A

Attached Files:

RandyPete likes this.
  18. NullDev

NullDev Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Perfect! As long as Toyota matched the relay to the fuse sizing, I don't think there would ever be an issue. Thank you for looking that up.

wrtboy168 likes this.
  19. chung1569

chung1569 New Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    Limited

This Japanese youtuber show the horn installation very clearly (starting 3:40)

20. badassbooda

badassbooda New Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Just got my 2024 and installing the 08522-B1010 horn - I've plugged the connectors in but no sound from the new horn! Tried the connector coming from the Prius into both of the female connectors on the wire and no sound. Old horn is fine. Wondering if I have a dud since everyone in this thread seems to have had success...any ideas or wiring issues I might be missing (hard to tell from the videos but this seems very straightforward, I can't imagine what I could be missing.)