1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replace Prius Engine at Dealership?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ROScott71, May 28, 2020.

1. ROScott71

ROScott71 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 2010 Peiuz started shaking during start and low mph. Registered CODE po303 at Autozone. Drove 70 miles to Toyota dealership. After "diagnostic" told the engine would have to be repalaced at $6600.00. Head gasket gone in cylander 3. Vehicle is worhtless. No computer readout provided. Senor mechanic brought over to the car to verify the engine is junk. That is all I have. There is no work order listing the specifics of the replacement. I was told it would take at least 19 hours to do the replacement. My signature is on a piece of paper with a brief list of four or five possible engines to be the replacement. A hand drawn line is where I was told to sign. I have a strong felling this is not right. What should I do now? They have my car.2010

2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Go to indecent shop

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Independent

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How many miles? Very likely need to clean the Exhaust Gas Recirculation and intake Manifold, clogging of both is (arguably) behind your problem.

Independent shop could probably do the head gasket for half that, replacing pretty much every gasket (Toyota puts out a kit with head gasket and all the rest), new head bolts (to play it safe) and send the head to machine shop for full inspection.

@The Critic went that route (albeit mostly DIY). I've flagged him, so maybe he'll weigh in.

Is it consuming oil, and if so how much?

#4 Mendel Leisk, May 30, 2020
    Last edited: May 30, 2020
  5. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Dont trust the dealership. They charged a diagnostic and told me didnt pass compression test so the head gasket is no good. A year later it still runs, well except for the hybrid battery took a poop on me.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.