1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replace Qi charger with storage box?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by jdw, Sep 24, 2019.

1. jdw

jdw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I really have no use for the Qi charger, and it's in a prime location for a small storage box or bin. Has anyone taken apart the console of a Gen 4 and can tell me what it looks like under there? I'm thinking a 3/4" to 1" deep box there would be perfect for keeping small items. Maybe 3D printed so it screws in where the Qi charger does?

2. ice9

ice9 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm trying to build a small storage container that fits in the slot. The Qi docking station really doesn't need to be removed since it doesn't take up much space. What I was thinking of was attaching two ribs (shaped plastic dowels) to the bottom of a small storage container so that the bottom of the container is "keyed" to fit in the Qi docking station. This way, not only can you store small items (change, receipts, etc) but it would also allow continued use of the wireless charger should it ever be needed - the smartphone would fit underneath the storage container between the two ribs. Velcro, or small suction cups could be added to provide retention to keep the storage container (and contents) from becoming airborne from severe bumps.

I'm still looking for a small box to fit in the space where the Qi charger is located. Once I find one, the rest should be fairly simple to construct.

krmcg likes this.
  3. The Professor

The Professor Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    I 3D printed a mat out of flexible TPU that makes the whole charging area flat by fitting exactly into the contours of the tray. It protects it from scratches from metal objects too. Unfortunately, my 3D printer only prints up to 14cm/5.5" square, so it doesn't quite extend to the end. Works well though.

Note that mat is upside down in the image.

Attached Files:

krmcg and ice9 like this.
  4. ice9

ice9 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you changed the elevated ramp into an elevated "U" (with the same outer dimensions of the ramp) it could accommodate a smartphone underneath and still perform the same function.

krmcg likes this.
  5. The Professor

The Professor Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    I thought of that, and even started designing it with that in mind, but my phone (Google Pixel 2) is 12mm thick including the case, and 15cm long. If I recall correctly, the maximum thickness of my mat is 8mm... So I'd have to add quite a bit of extra depth, leaving very little depth above. That, and my printer can't print things long enough to cover the whole phone. Wireless charging is very inefficient and produces a lot of heat too, so I figured encapsulating the phone in another insulating layer may cause issues.

6. ice9

ice9 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I rarely use the floor mounted iQ charger myself, but charge my smartphone using a Boslisa vent mounted iQ charger. This allows me to operate the smartphone hands-free, by voice command. Other smartphone apps are too dangerous to operate while driving - which I suspect is why Toyota put their iQ charger on the floor. In any case, I still keep the floor mounted Prius iQ charger available for passengers.