1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

replace shocks/struts?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by jhknight, Mar 28, 2012.

1. WHCSC

WHCSC Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the tips!

2. FireFighterHill

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I replaced mine right after I got the car and I vacuum it out regularly. I also blow out my engine air filter with compressed air whenever I do any maintenance on the car.

Brian in Tucson likes this.
  3. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We're like twin sons of different mothers! I washed my oem floor mats yesterday in hot water in the washer yesterday. Stains don't come all the way out, but most of the trail dust goes down the drain and it makes them smell pretty good.

Amazon has them on a subscription basis, fair priced. So dusty here in the desert, I blow them out every other oil change, change the oil filter then, too. And blow out the engine air filter every oil change. Synthetic oil, of course, and 6 or 8k mi. change interval. Very good, like Wix, isn't much more expensive than Fram.

Pay me now or pay me later. (Used to be Fram's ad line.)

#83 Brian in Tucson, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  4. FireFighterHill

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    My engine has a ton of varnish and deposits (should have seen the bottom of my oil pan when i pulled it) so ive been running high detergent semi synthetic diesel type 10w30 for mixed fleet use. Ive been doing short interval oil changes, running MMO and/or seafoam along with a oil flush right before the change. I usually use whatever filter is on sale, right now it has a purelator ONE in it, before that a K&N, before that a Mobil one. I sometimes run MMO, chevron techron or sea foam through the tank when i find it on sale.

5. WHCSC

WHCSC Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've heard the Gumout Multi-system is the best additive for carbon.

6. MaryRichmond

MaryRichmond New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just got a $1650 quote for rear strut replacement on my 2005 with 120 mi...does that sound fair from my tire shop?

7. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    MaryRichmond, get a 2nd opinion from an independent repair shop with a good reputation. 1) Rear shocks almost never fail at 120k on a Gen2. 2) The shocks themselves are under $100 each, and even though you have to remove the trunk area interior trim, it should take under 4 hours labour for the entire job. $600-$800 is a more realistic estimate for the job (depends on labor rate in your area)

mroberds and Raytheeagle like this.
  8. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It wouldn't be bad if it were a Porsche. But for a Prius it's pretty outrageous. Changing struts doesn't require Prius magic or special knowledge. You could get them done at Midas (my favorite shop in Tucson) for $100 hr. for labor. If you bring them the struts (get quick struts) they'll install them for you. Check out sourcing them from on Amazon and/or Rock auto. Quick struts are struts with all the trimmings, assembled with new spring, rubber parts, and top mounts. They are a good deal.

9. 2002_Pri_Rod

2002_Pri_Rod Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Mary Richmond
    I recently installed the FCT brand shocks and struts on one of our Prius and went a bit more expensive with a second Prius - I have posted on that in another thread but I would use the FCT shocks and struts again - good price - comes in a complete assembly- springs, shocks, everything you need for basically plug and play - they have been working very well

Google shocks and struts for 2001 through 2003 and you should find both the FCT and another brand people have used with success "unity" - I hope this helps

mroberds likes this.
  10. Lynn and Little Green

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I tried to tell the mechanic what you said and they said I was wrong. I had a rattle on certain types of bumps near my left front tire and they said I needed all new shocks and struts and a new sway bar. I allowed them to do the work and I am in SHOCK! The ride on my car now is so punishing, that it is no longer fun to drive my car. I hear and feel everything in the road. Before I had a smooth, comfortable vehicle. Now the ride is so harsh, it's awful. I am so sick with the decision I made. I want to warn others. I had tried to ask them which was the worst and only replace that and they dismissed that and said I needed them all replaced. While I have no way of verifying that, I am just warning others to be careful. Your car will be VERY different if you have the Japanese shocks and struts and get different ones.

11. kutcht1

kutcht1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    sorry to hear that, Very frustrating spending money thinking you are improving things and that doesn't happen.
    TomK

12. Lynn and Little Green

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just wonder if there is anything I can do. I just cannot stand to drive my Prius now. The ride is jarring, loud and makes me nervous. It was so smooth before. I loved my car and now I don't and it cost a fortune for the work they did. They said new shocks are always like that, but really????? It rides like a boat in stormy water, tosses me to and fro. YIKES!

13. kutcht1

kutcht1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    New struts don't ride like that, I have replaced many struts and have only had one bad experience were I put on a set of quick struts. Ride was fine but they made more noise than the ones I removed.
    TomK

14. Raphael Muscarelle

Raphael Muscarelle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had set of quick struts hit the wall. I figured out where it was hitting. Then hit the spot with a hammer. Done.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

15. kutcht1

kutcht1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting Raphael, I will have to take a look and see as I still have the car with them in.
    TomK

16. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Fast forward a few years, does anyone have updates on the Unity, FCS (FTC?), and or other off brands?

17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I bought (for a different vehicle) replacements once that were a well-known aftermarket brand and supposed to be an upgrade, the bees' knees, the cat's pajamas, and man oh man did I hate the ride after that.

Solman636 likes this.
  18. Solman636

Solman636 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The boots on my 08 Prius front shocks have disintegrated. After 160k miles they still seem to work ok, but should I replace the boots? How difficult? Or should I just wait til one goes bad and put new shocks?

19. Michael Wood

Michael Wood Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    That is so true. So many people who go into a brake shop are pitched the old "you have one caliper with a frozen piston....it's got rust on it....but you should probably replace both sides". It's outright theft. Shocks, struts, and alignments are usually pure fantasy too.

20. Summerjamsam

Summerjamsam New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Any updates on your FCT struts/shocks? Thinking about getting some for our Prius and curious how well yours have lasted.

SFO likes this.