1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replace that Old Florescent Light ... with a New One

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by SageBrush, Jul 17, 2013.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    My recent lightbulb strategy has been to buy a mixture of LEDs and florescent. In particular I like LEDs for low lumen/high use spots.

Today I was staring at the Florescent fixture over my head in our dining area and started to wonder if it had not come time for replacement. Disassembly was easy enough. I was unhappy to find that the monster had 40watt * 4 bulbs. Then I saw that two were burned out LOL.

I'm guessing that the bulbs are 15 years old, so I went shopping to see what had changed. I think I can now buy bulb replacements for about $8 that are close to 100 lumens/watt. I suspect my old bulbs are half that. At my local electricity rate of 11 cents/kWh, assuming 4 hours use a day, I will recoup the replacement fee in about three years and save about 5 kWh a month.

Just one more example of saving money and energy. And while 5 kWh a month savings does not sound like a lot, it is a lot multiplied by all the homes and bulbs/home in the country, or when it is added to all the other simple little things we can be doing.

In my case it reduces my monthly electricity use by 5%, and assuages my guilt that I leave my modem/router on 24/7 ;)

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I moved in to this home almost 7 years ago and replaced 76 incandescent bulbs with CFL and LEDs, leaving 12 incandescent I can't replace (inside oven and microwave, inside ice maker in door to fridge) The cost savings can add up even in one home.

76 * 60 is a lot more than 76 * 13 and my A/C works easier for all those watts I am not adding. (I swear I never actually have all 76 on at once)

4. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Borrow some of the neighbor's kids, then you can get all 88 of those puppies burning.

SageBrush likes this.
  5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...I just did mine in the kitchen we have a 4x40W fixture. Unfort I replaced in kind and really it was the ballast seems the ballast has a shorter life than the bulbs. But are you saying you found energy saving fluorescents? I noticed they do seem to come in 32W and 40W I should have got the 32W.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for that link! They do keep getting better. I've got only a few odd lights around here that I didn't already change from incandescent to fluorescent several years ago, and the fluorescents are still going strong so I won't need to replace them soon. The outdoor porch lights were among the ones I had not switched to fluorescent because I didn't want cold-weather starting hassles, so one of those just burned out and I tried my first LED replacement using the 9.5 watt, 800 lumen Cree. Very satisfied.

These tube retrofits don't look quite as appealing to me yet. Partly it's that in the tube shape, what it'll be replacing is obviously a fluorescent, which is already pretty efficient so there's less room to improve on what's already there. And they just don't seem quite yet able to get enough output into a package: my Philips F40T12s in the basement give me something like 3300 lumens from 40 watts, so not quite 90 lm/W. The EarthLED 4 foot tube at 1500 lm from 15 W is a really sweet 100 lm/W but it's still less than half the light - and the color rendering index a bit worse too, and at that rate $60 per tube still needs some coming down to catch my interest.

I'm sure they'll keep improving on all those fronts ... the Cree I recently bought has 85 CRI, output comparable to a good fluorescent, and a great price. I'm looking forward to what'll be out in the next few years.

-Chap

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The cheapest bulbs are a couple dollars each, but for not too much more money the lumens/watt about doubles.

Instead of the 40w*2 bulbs I have now I am going to replace with 21w*2 that have double the lumens/watt.
    You might also want to play around a little and see how many lumens you (and family) are happy with. For our use it has turned out to be way less than the 8000 lumens (!!!) I started out with 15 years ago.

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There are more ways to play the game than just choosing between the 40w and 32w "energy saving" flavors. The 32-watters came out decades ago really as a way of saving energy by settling for less light. But now thanks to technology improvements you can choose among products of the same wattage with quite a range of light output for the same power input ... also much better color rendition than the old ones, and a wide selection of color temperatures.

And one way the world is really better now since only several years ago ... even in the consumer big-box stores you pretty much see the lumen output, color temperature and CRI right there on the label next to the watts in, so you can buy exactly what you want and know what you're getting. Even just several years ago you'd typically only see watts in and basic warm/cool/daylight labels on consumer retail packages (though if you went to lighting distributors you could look up the other stuff and order from their full catalogs).

-Chap

9. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    T8 fluorescent bulbs at 35w are much more efficient than the older 40w T12 fluorescent bulbs. You must replace the ballasts though. But if the ballasts are years old, then the newer ballasts will be more efficient as well.

SCH-I535

10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    By how much ?

11. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Beats me, but the T8 bulbs are brighter and use less watts per lumen, so it's a win win IMO.

LEDs are still too expensive for me.

SCH-I535

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'm learning that even when talking about fluorescent lighting, there are details ...

T8 and T12 predated T5. Per Wikipedia T5 is about 18% more efficient than the older designs, but almost all of the improvement is due to the use of an electronic ballast and the improvement occurs at higher ambient temperature seen in low ventilation areas. Also, T5 bulbs use about 1/5th the Hg, a significant advantage.

13. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Where is the US (for example) now, in terms of fluorescent-bulb recycling? There is just 5 to 100 milligrams of mercury in each one, but when multiplied by millions, it can become important.

14. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Update:

I started with a 4 feet long fixture that had room for four, 40 watt t12 bulbs. Two were burned out and no one had complained of inadequate lighting so from the start I figured the max light I needed was about 4000 lumens.

I bought two, T8 32 watt 90 lumen/watt bulbs for $10 and ended up with a sick flicker. A little googling later I realized the ballast was wrong, and purchased a $15 electronic ballast for two lamps. Google helped immensely with the swap -- it really is quite easy. I'm not sure I can appreciate any light quality difference, but I'm very happy to say no flicker, instant on, and no hum.

Now I have one 32 watt, T8 in place for the summer, and might install the second lamp if I want more light in the winter.

Energy savings: The old two lamps/ballasts were about 90 watts, the new single lamp is about 32 watt. I round off and estimate that for now the savings are 60 watts, used about 4 hours a day. The savings may decrease in the winter as mentioned earlier.

Energy savings will cover the purchase costs in ~ 3 - 4.5 years depending on use. Energy use will decrease by 240 Wh a day in the summer, perhaps down to 120 Wh a day savings in the winter.

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi SageBrush,

You've probably already checked this, but the literature for your ballast should say whether it's ok long-term with having one of the lamps missing. I get the impression T8 electronic ballasts are all the Instant Start type and probably won't have a problem, though the ballast literature ought to say for sure. The Rapid Start type (which you probably had before) could be adversely affected by having one lamp out (and the linked article ends with a story about a Texas school district thinking they could save money in the 1974 energy crisis by taking out some of the lamps in each fixture).

-Chap

SageBrush likes this.
  16. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the reminder to check. I wondered about this, but I really should find out the answer.

These new electronic ballasts have one (+) wire for each lamp, and the tombstones have no jumper cables (I'm sure that is the wrong word!). That suggests to me that each lamp is happy to operate independently, although my understanding of electricity is way below that of a 3rd grader, and my understanding of electronics is nil.

17. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I can only speak for Pinellas County, FL. There is a free dropoff center for ANY hazardous waste as well as collection events (residential only). Likewise Lowe's and Home Depot take CFLs only for recycling. However, I'm sure most of the population throws whatever they want to get rid of in the garbage bins no matter how toxic.