Replace the rubber steering wheel buttons?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by clangjr, Jun 24, 2013.

1. clangjr

clangjr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Is there an easy and inexpensive way to change the rubber steering wheel buttons? I just bought my 2010 and the button on the right is fine. The one on the left feels like it's made of chewed bubble gum and it is very sticky.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Chuck

Bill Norton likes this.
  2. soloflyt

soloflyt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I also have this problem, but last time i checked with the dealer they don't sell those buttons seperately. They sell the whole cluster that screws into the steering wheel. If you find something, post here so I can do it as well.

3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Salvage yard ?

4. soloflyt

soloflyt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    cheapest i saw is the whole button cluster for the steering wheel in ebay for 90$ approx..

5. clangjr

clangjr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I guess the question is can you JUST replace the rubber portion or do you have to replace the entire module. Based on my research, it's not just the one side either....both sides are connected and would require replacing the pair. Once you get to the point where you can replace one side, replacing both is a snap. It's getting there that could be a journey...

6. soloflyt

soloflyt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yep, is spoke to a toyota rep, they don't just sell the button. Its one set assembly (left and right) for more. Ebay has em for 100$ approx. Replacing is easy, take off airbag and two screws... I just couldn't justify spending another 100$ for just cosmetics so I'm living with it right now. If they start making buttons then ill fix mine.

7. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Too much of a hassle to want to replace just the buttons. Plus the air bag is no joke, if you break it or mess it up, its an expensive 800$+ dollars plus bodily injuries if it goes off on you. I would let the dealers deal with this if you're not train to do it.

8. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Plenty of us have changed out the stock steering wheel to the JDM version by following the instructions and all precautions and it's easy to do. No reported case of any one of us screwing up.

9. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    ah, very nice. Glad no one has been injured! :)