1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replace tweeter on 2008 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by sarbensdad, Dec 6, 2014.

1. sarbensdad

sarbensdad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello,
    First time on the site, so please be kind.
    I have replaced the OEM radio with a Pioneer HU(4 channel, 50 watts per channel). I want to replace all of the speakers, but I am confused about if I need to replace the tweeters located at the top of the front doors or not and, if so, which type of speakers you may recommend.
    Thank you!

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If you are replacing all speakers you should replace tweeter also because it's a speaker.

You should install 2-way component system to front doors. 2-way component system has separate woofer and tweeter and (normally) crossover filter. Crossover filter is connected to amp or head unit and woofer and tweeter are then connected to that crossover. Normally crossover is installed inside door but if it has adjustments and its installed inside door you can’t adjust them when system is installed.

3. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    alpine tweeters fit the tweeter triangle perfect with no modifications, and they sound great, unlike the slushy sounding oem tweeter. valde is right on, you should get a component speaker system, ideally with 6 3/4" woofers. if you are capable and want to modify your doors, you can get bigger speakers to fit, but there isn't much clearance in the front doors for the window-- only about 2.5". but despite all the crap which has been printed about woofers, bigger is better, and small woofers just can't move enough air if you want bass.
    if you don't want to modify the doors, contact crutchfield. they most likely can hook you up with something that fits.

4. sarbensdad

sarbensdad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you both so much for your tips.
    I have another quandary now and it regards my attempt to install aftermarket tweeters utilizing the existing wiring found in the doors. It seems that there are 4 wires within the original tweeter connection, while I only have 2 wires connected to the new tweeter. It also seems that the signal for the new door speakers (Pyle 3 ways- I know I cheaped-out, but I didn't want to go broke over this!) originates at this same connection, as they only work when the old tweeter is connected. I am hoping there is a workaround for this as I would prefer to use the existing wiring and avoid the 'brain damage' of having to wire directly from the HU.
    Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!!
    Thank you.
    Pete

5. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    from the factory the wires from the head unit go directly to the tweeter, and then from the tweeter to the woofer. that is why you have 2 sets of wires at the tweeter.

the tweeter and woofer must be wired in parallel. I cut the wires off at the old tweeter and ran them to the woofer, then ran the wires from the new tweeter down to the woofer and crimped the two sets of wires into the spade terminals on the woofer. make sure you get the polarity right or it will sound like butt. if you don't understand polarity and parallel circuits, might be you need to get a friend that knows how to do it to help you.

6. sarbensdad

sarbensdad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Forgive my ignorance on the topic, but to be sure:

1. There are 4 wires at the tweeter connection: pink, yellow, purple and black.
    2. Take these 4 wires plus the 2 wires from the tweeter and connect to the spade terminals of the woofer.

I think I know the polarity of the 4 wires at the tweeter connection, though there is no indication on the new tweeter wires; does it make a difference.

Sorry again for being a dunce!

Thank you again for your help; I definitely owe you a beer!

7. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    the new tweeter aught to have some directions to tell you about the polarity of it. read them. 2 of the wires at the tweeter come from the radio. you will need to use those 2 wires. the other 2 wires go to the woofer, you will not need those wires. you will need to find the wiring diagram for the non jbl audio system. its on this site somewhere. that diagram will tell you which color wire is + and which is -. (some nice person with a better memory than me might know which is which). take the 2 wires from the new tweeter and the 2 wires from the radio, crimp the 2 + wires into the spade terminal for the + terminal on the new woofer, and the 2 - wires into the spade terminal for - on the woofer. many aftermarket speakers have a smaller spade for -, but you need to read the instructions to determine which is which.

also, be aware of the depth of your new door speakers. you only have about 2 1/4" of clearance to the bottom of the window when it's rolled down. if your window hits the speaker, its gonna suck really bad. probably break the glass or the regulator or both.

8. sarbensdad

sarbensdad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, I did as you said and it came out really great.

9. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
  10. sarbensdad

sarbensdad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I can't thank you enough for your help; you were very kind and I greatly appreciate it!!!!!
    For the record, the signal wires from the radio/ HU are as follows: driver'side: pink is +, purple is -, passenger side: green with blue dot is +, blue with blue dot is -.
    Thanks again!

11. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    glad to help. I wouldn't want anyone to suffer through driving without music. now I'd like to recommend "animals as leaders" to test your speakers.

12. sarbensdad

sarbensdad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    will do!