1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

replace upper and lower radiator hoses?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Geoff Stricklin, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Geoff Stricklin

Geoff Stricklin New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello, I'm new to this forum. I have 2010 Prius (2) 116k miles. I was told by Toyota and also an inde garage that I should replace all upper and lower radiator hoses. I'm wondering if that is necessary maintenance or whether I should just replace a particular hose if it goes bad. Apparently it's going to be expensive. Also, if i did replace, do I need to go with Toyota parts? Thanks!

2. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Are the hoses swollen at the hose clamps? When you squeeze them when the engine is off and the coolant is cool, do you see cracks in the sides of the hoses? Any sign of leaks like using coolant? Having 2 different sources tell you this makes me think they do need to be changed.

Failure whilst driving can lead to overheating of ICE or inverter, which are quite expensive compared to a new set of hoses. If you do replace, consider replacing all of them at once as it is very frustrating to replace one and then have the other one fail 6 months later. Also be sure to use correct Toyota coolant when refilling.
    Good luck!

Bluegrassman likes this.