1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replace Water Pump? (PICS)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Borninblue, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Borninblue

Borninblue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I see some pink crust around my water pump. Not sure how long it has been there since I have only owned the vehicle for a month. I’ve been monitoring fluid levels and there has been no change. No leaks under the vehicle. Should I change it out or leave it be until it fails? Pics attached, 118,000 miles on her.

Attached Files:

m.wynn likes this.
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The question is always how bad is the leak... Because you're new to this particular car, I'd first give it a really good cleaning and check all the bolts to ensure they're sufficiently tight. Then keep an eye on it every day or so and see how long it takes to return. Hopefully it never looks bad again. If I were you I'd wait to fix it until it gets to the point you have to add coolant because it keeps running low.

In general having a really clean engine compartment that you get good at regularly cleaning is a solid strategy for noticing and fixing problems before they get expensive.

#2 PriusCamper, Dec 2, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    Borninblue likes this.
  3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It actually looks like it is coming from the thermostat;).

But simple monitoring is best for now (y).

m.wynn, Borninblue and PriusCamper like this.
  4. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Agree. If you recall my 2010, when changing the t-stat, I spent some extra time trying smooth the pitting on the mating surface. It seems in the real road salt states, the corrosion can work it's way along the mating surface and right past where the t-stat gasket sits. I was wary of this afterward and it never leaked before the car's demise, but I was almost expecting it too:unsure:...

For sure agree again, let that sleeping dog lie;). Fair chance it's "corrected" itself, even.

Good catch, Borninblue(y).

#4 m.wynn, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    Borninblue and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. Borninblue

Borninblue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for everyone’s help!

Raytheeagle likes this.