1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replace water pump vs Scangauge?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by PriusNeckBeard, Jul 14, 2022.

1. PriusNeckBeard

PriusNeckBeard Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    2013 Prius
    151,000 miles

Should I replace water pump & thermostat?

Are some people watching the Scangauge instead?

Is $1,308 a fair price? (edit: not $1400)

Thanks

#1 PriusNeckBeard, Jul 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hale no! Pump prices are all over the place take your pick $1,400 for I think what was the 45-minute job yeah I'll take those all day long I mean what are they telling you the Toyota pump is $600 and the rest is their labor yeah okay. Not in my world as a matter of fact I have both pumps aftermarket which looks like in Asian branded pump with the logo ground off at the corner and the original pump has the logo so me thinks it's not a mission critical thing they both seem to work the same the computer controls it it works if it fails it throws a code turns on a light just like the inverter pump on a Gen 2 but it's not that.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Its list price is $310, so at any dealer that prices at a discount, it should be less than that.

4. tellyourdogisaidhi

tellyourdogisaidhi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    255 bucks thru McGeorge Toyota for the pump and thermostat and gaskets. And 25 shipping (to my place). It’s a no brainer but I would do it myself. And at 142k on the clock now, I just ordered the parts now.

nate358, Noahdoge and bisco like this.
  5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Wow I let mine really go then I got the 230,000 everything was working fine and then I had the head gasket problem during that time for some reason I thought the water pump may not be keeping up with the system so I took the original water pump off check the thermostat the water was all red and clear. I put on the new scraped off logo pump they sell on eBay and Amazon. Hooked it up saw it working with it just plugged up and on the car and put it all together and it worked fine so we've left it. We still have the original put up and it works fine I just saved it. So I guess I have a backup

6. PriusNeckBeard

PriusNeckBeard Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    To be clear...that was $1,308 parts and labor. (I've never done anything mechanical, so thought i'd better have a mechanic do the job)
    So...am checking on this p&l price.

7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes that's dealer part . Takes about 1.5 hours to change pump itself w basic tools. I'd hate to even think my girlfriend would pay near $600 for somebody to do this but I guess it's possible she might not be able to find the sockets and wrenches.