1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replace whole rear left door

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Meadow, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Meadow

Meadow New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I have a basic Gen 2 from 2005. She runs great but rust has destroyed a large portion of the back left door. It is no longer inspectable. My mothers friend has almost the same model and color and is retiring her car. My Bodyshop says to replace the whole door it would cost $800, plus time. So... I’m not a mechanic but I know my way around a lug nut. How technical is a whole door replacement, and how does the wiring/ re-wiring work? I can’t find any good info on the web. As far as I can tell there are only about five bolts between me and a new door. But the wiring worries me.

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There's one connector for the entire door. Connector is just at the at the car side of door flex (rubber that allows wires to bend when opening and closing the door). So just get it unplugged and then remove the bolt from check strap and then unbolt the hinges. A second person makes it a lot easier to change the door.

SFO likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Possible headache: alignment of the door? Maybe more so if the car was in an accident, slightly bent?

4. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If either of cars haven't been in accident where door or area around it got damaged alignment is not hard. Especially if you're fine with it not being perfect.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!
    You've got this, and like @valde3 said a second (or third set) of hands will make this a quick and easy project.

Have you already removed the old door panel to disconnect the speakers and switch?

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Main thing I found was the closing effort. Our case, seemed like no matter how I tweaked it, the replaced door required more effort to close. Best I could do was to minimize the increase in effort. To be fair, this was after an accident. Another car btw.

7. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Pretty sure there's no need to do anything except back the rubber off the car side of the wire run and then disconnect the plug. Then just unbolt the door from the car.

If you like your interior panel better, then you can pop it off to switch it. That would require a couple more plugs to be disconnected.

SFO likes this.
  8. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Easy trick that you can do to adjust the striker plate is to loosen the bolts on it a bit. Then just close the door with force. And open it carefully by making sure the handle is fully open before opening the door. Then just tighten the bolts. This should help for closing effort by adjusting the up-down perfectly. If it's still too tight just adjust the door straight and/or out.

#8 valde3, Jan 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    ydpplqbd and Mendel Leisk like this.
  9. ydpplqbd

ydpplqbd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds like a backyard swap taking about an hour to 1.5 hour with the proper hand tools and a decent spot to work. Maybe longer if really cold.

PS You really should get someone to help you hold new/used door in place while you start the hinge bolts back into their threaded holes.

10. Meadow

Meadow New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thank you all, I’m going to try it. I will try to post photos.

valde3 and SFO like this.