1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replace Your Ride Program Process in SoCal

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by PrimerPrius, Jul 13, 2019.

1. LnG

LnG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    It's unfortunate they marketed this program with a video of a homeless woman getting a vehicle to get to work and then when you call them to inquire they say the program isn't for homeless. You have to have an address. Well, it was a nice story anyways ...plus the police probably just tow their cars illegally anyways so they can keep or resell at auction. That kind of bothers me.

2. mrmonocle

mrmonocle New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Does anybody have any experience how RYR stacks with other incentives - in particular the BAR CAP vehicle retirement program (google it, can't post link)? Picked up the RYR car in December. Back to to this week - I had called the dismantler in advance before I brought in my old car in and they said this will work (using both incentives). When I showed up, they said they can't do both because they said it doesn't work from the DMV perspective (release of liability). None of the program guidelines say they can't be stacked or are mutually exclusive?

The process is as follows for both programs:
    RYR: Drop off vehicle at contracted dismantler, sign liability release form and put the dismantler's name in, get check.
    CAP BAR vehicle retirement: Drop off vehicle at dismantler, sign liability release form and put the dismantler's name etc., get dismantler voucher signed (and send to case manager).

There are dismantlers that are contracted for both programs (overlap).

3. LnG

LnG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    The dismantler does both because they scam the system. They claimed they gave me cash at the dismantler. It's hidden in the paperwork. It is repeatedly mentioned you can not take any money from the dismantler. You can even tell the worker whose native language isn't English all of a sudden that as well multiple times. If you are going to do this process at all I would record the process. From the abusive car dealers to the dismantler. I should have filed a police report on the woman because she stole money and used my paperwork to do so. However thats just opening another can of corrupt, slimy worms. Also, Anything with BAR in it you probably want to avoid. You are not supposed to stack these programs. It feels like the snake eating its tail. The problem is the drop off locations are not being separated. They are allowing both at one site when there are plenty of dismantlers that can just handle one program separately. That's just one side of it. The opaque behind-the-scenes crap is disconcerting.

#43 LnG, Jan 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  4. mrmonocle

mrmonocle New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Just so I'm understanding this correctly - you are saying the dismantler took the $1000/1500 from BAR that were supposed to go to you and you retired the vehicle officially just under the RYR program?

The whole dealership nightmare (went to 4 dealers, had my negotiations thrown out of the window and ended up paying MSRP although they offered the same car/same VIN with a $2K discount) already made it pretty clear to my that the dealers are scamming the system, that's why I'm not trusting anybody in this process anymore.

5. Rieuk

Rieuk Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    From what I remember, I thought I repeatedly read that the vehicle retirement program could not be stacked with RYR. This was directly from the RYR program people.

Below is the email text I received when I was informed that my rebate had gone through:

#45 Rieuk, Jan 16, 2020
  6. mrmonocle

mrmonocle New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I think I've done extensive research on the RYR website and in the docs and also on the BAR website cause I was so surprised when I talked to the dismantler, but nowhere does it state that both can't be combined. I haven't reached out to my case manager yet though.

Did you get this via e-mail from your case manager?

#46 mrmonocle, Jan 16, 2020
  7. Rieuk

Rieuk Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Yeah I edited my previous post, have a look there..

8. mrmonocle

mrmonocle New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Got it. That's funny, nothing like this is mentioned in the instructions I got from my case manager. Did you retire at SA south of DTLA / East LA?

PS: did you also apply for the BAR program?