1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

replaced 12v battery, but still having battery issues

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by thekid, Jul 5, 2017.

1. thekid

thekid New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I was having dead battery symptoms, dead screen, car won't shut off etc, so I replaced the 12v battery and it fixed it for the mot part but they still happen occasionally.

I've even replaced the 12v again and its still doing it. I have to go into the back and disconnect the battery and then it goes away, but its very annoying.

Please help point me in the right direction of what to look for/at next. If its not the 12v battery causing the issues, what is next in line for things to investigate? I've tried to search all the forums and haven't found anything.

thank you

Ben

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Search for information about a dead or failing combination meter. Can be reworked to fix problem. One place that can help is @Texas Hybrid Batteries. Give Matt a call, I'm sure he can help.

3. Texas Hybrid Batteries

Texas Hybrid Batteries Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ben,
    dolj was right on. Your combo meter is failing, no doubt about it. Cycling the 12 volt power sometimes gets them going but it's just temporary.

The replacement meters that we sell are $150 and come pre programmed so you just take the old one out and put the new one in. Most people do it in a couple of hours.

PM me if you need more info.

Matt

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Do you do any testing on the battery before replacement? At least checking the at-rest voltage, with a digital multi meter? I'd recommend checking with a digital load tester, either something DIY level like Solar BA5, or any competent battery retailer should have a pro-level tester, and will test for free, to get your business.

And yeah, it's very well be that it's not the 12 volt that's the issue.

#4 Mendel Leisk, Jul 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  5. thekid

thekid New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    thank you all! it's definitely the combo meter. After learning about that and looking it up, I'm sure that is what it is.

The really stupid thing is I'm now just outside the extended warranty for that part. Looks like I'll be taking apart the dash my prius in the near future. ;-)

thank you all again for your help. This was driving me nuts not knowing where to look.

Ben

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. JoeX

JoeX Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    fixed my combo meter for a few $ , replaced one capacitor extras on the shelf.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well done!(y)