1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replaced 12v battery, still getting "Transmiss

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jdiamond, Jan 20, 2015.

1. jdiamond

jdiamond Junior Member

My 2005 Prius has about 140,000 miles. I had been getting the intermittent warning message, "Caution: The transmission lock mechanism is abnormal" although the vehicle has been able to start and drive just fine. I replaced the 12v battery, which was suggested in several other threads. However, the warning keeps reappearing.
    Possibly related, my gear shift knob is "sticky". I'm able to get it into each gear (and the transmission remains in the gear selected), but the knob does not move smoothly like it used to. Any suggestions?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think it's time to replace the shifter...you can get them used on ebay

xpcman likes this.
  3. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    First, check the connections to the battery, including the bolt to the chassis on the negative lead. Check the voltage at the jump point under the hood while you turn on the headlights, open the doors etc. Compare that voltage to what you read right at the battery terminals. If you see much drop, then there is a poor connection somewhere. Also, new batteries are not necessarily properly charged when purchased, so make sure the battery is completely charged.