1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replaced ABS Actuator w/ non-matching part number, how to reprogram??

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by viciousthinker, Mar 21, 2021.

1. viciousthinker

viciousthinker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    hi all... ok, here’s where i’m at... 2012 Prius, 200k, listened to the ABS pump for months coming on more and more often, it finally burned out (?) and the dash lit up like a christmas tree, brakes near nonexistent and pedal hard...

i also have a 2010 Prius that has been relegated to my “parts car” since the head gasket blew up 2 years ago... trying to be frugal, i pulled its ABS actuator out and transplanted it in, refilled w/ fluid, and set about bleeding through Techstream (coupled with a miniVCI cable)... now it did go through the bleed procedure successfully (i think?) but at the point where it states i should see two of the dash lights blinking quickly that doesn’t happen... and the lights remain lit, even when reset through Techstream... i show C1202 and C1345 as current as well.

I had read in my research prior to doing this about if using an actuator with a different part number it would require programming… I took that to mean that it was something I could perform through Techstream, is this indeed the case? I don’t have a TIS login but will buy one if necessary, I see on their price schedule that a ‘professional’ level access can be purchased for $65, is this what I’m needing? it does mention ECU programming and calibrations being available, but in every thread where this is touched upon the required programming for the integrated ECU in this situation isn’t really discussed, so i’m unclear just what it entails... if it’s something that is even beyond the capabilities of Techstream then i’ll likely just frankenstein the actuators together and cross my fingers?

any clarification would be really welcome, thanks in advance all..!

2. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you ever get this resolved and working?

3. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does anyone know how often the pump comes one? Everytime you press the brakes? 2nd, 3rd, etc?
    Has anyone used techstream to test it, will it let you know it's starting to fail?

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The 'normal' number varies quite a bit, somewhere in between "every few uses" and "every several uses". It depends on how much fluid gets consumed from the accumulator on each "use", which depends on how hard a "use" it was, and also on things like the amount of rotor runout. (A rotor with more runout pushes the caliper piston back farther when the brakes are released, meaning it takes more fluid to apply the brakes every time they are used.)

In cars with rear drums (like Gen 1 and Gen 2), it will get a little more frequent as the linings wear, closer and closer to the next click of the auto adjuster, and then less frequent again after the adjuster clicks.

In general, as long as you're kind of not sure how often your pump is running, that's pretty much as it should be.

If you catch yourself thinking it's running on every use of the brakes, that's getting suspicious. If it's coming back on by itself between uses of the brakes, that's definitely suspicious.

Another poster has suggested just watching the accumulator pressure sensor value in the Techstream data list. If you get bored watching for the number to drop after a run of the pump, that's good. If you're sitting there watching the number drop before your eyes, not good.

For the OP: given your C1202 and your C1345, have you checked the reservoir level sensor and tried to trigger the offset learning?

#4 ChapmanF, May 2, 2021
    Last edited: May 2, 2021
  5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    When my pump was going out it would take longer than ten seconds to pump up in the morning. I would hear it every time the brake was used although it was only easily audible at stop lights. It did not throw codes in those initial situations but the pump cycling at every stop was not normal. One source said it has to run for five minutes to throw the pump runtime code. After the pump and master cylinder were replaced it went to short morning cycles and almost never at lights. Obviously it runs occasionally but it must be while I am moving with increased ambient noise.

When it was failing a techstream brake bleed restored the pump timing for about a day.

ASRDogman likes this.
  6. alecz86

alecz86 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    I
    did you figure out? do you really need re=programming or just solenoid valve offset learning?

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Depends on how different the actuator is from the old one in the car. They shipped with some different firmware versions ("calibration IDs", in car lingo) depending on the model/trim of the car. You can see the ID in a Techstream health check, and compare it to what's supposed to be in your car.

If it's not the right one, in theory you can flash the right one. I don't think I would try it with any dongle cheaper than the DrewTech one that Toyota endorses, though. Going cheap wouldn't be worth the chance of bricking it.