1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replaced battery cell, still errors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by lordofthereef, Dec 5, 2019.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ...replaced the cells and threw it back together

lordofthereef likes this.
  2. lordofthereef

lordofthereef Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A small update.

I took the vehicle in for inspection. Dash lights are showing nothing however their obd2 is showing the following code: 7F 0A 11

The mechanic asked me what I did to the car. Explained. He said I need to drive it 40-50 miles. Just drove up to NH since I had to return something to the mall anyway. That's about 40 miles. No errors in the dash. Will drive right back (another 40 miles, obviously) and see if that clears things up.

3. George W

George W Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I am confused here. Did the inspection station put a code reader on your car?

4. lordofthereef

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They must have. Is that unusual?

I have the printout of everything they check off. The line that failed included that error code that I shared.

edit: waiting at the inspection station now. Will see what they say.

5. George W

George W Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It would be unusual for Texas

6. lordofthereef

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, whatever changed, it passed after doing about 80 miles. I still see the fault code in the printout thought but you can see the line where it failed the first time; "readiness result".

For the record, I asked, and in the state of MA they do plug an obd2 in for emissions purposes.

FCAA6F69-3097-4E82-B982-6550DF8BA99A.jpeg F93648DF-61B3-4688-A068-E6C5768A6DF7.jpeg

George W likes this.
  7. cthindi

cthindi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You could get a code reader such as ELM 327 for less than 20$. You could run the checks yourself and confirm readiness flags as well as rest the codes. There are free apps / free versions fo paid apps which show the flags.

It would be even better to get Techstream for about 25$ on ebay. But for most of those versions you need an old laptop with Windows XP.
    I use a old laptop now dedicated exclusively for Techstream since i have 3 Toyota's, 2 of those hybrids.

I too have a 2005 Prius with 365K miles. I am getting P0420 code on that. Sometimes within 25 miles and at other times after 200 or so miles.

I have twice passed the emissions test after clearing the codes and getting tested in the sweet spot between readiness flags getting set and fault code getting set again.

8. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I have the app Car Scanner, and a TopOne OBD dongle. Both iOS compatible. I can set it up to monitor up to 12 different read outs from a very large list of possibilities. This is one of an unlimited number of diagnostic screens that I can add. It will read and clear codes, and can do “performance data” as well.

Attached Files:

SFO, lordofthereef and PriusCamper like this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    in ma, they just look at the computer history. it's tough to get around

10. lordofthereef

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Earlier in the thread I mentioned I had this but my wife recycled the laptop :(

I have a cheap Bluetooth reader. It resets codes (or I thought it did, it cleared dash lights) but it wasn't reading any codes for me. It's possible it's the reader or the app or both.

mid there an app and/or hardware you recommend?

11. lordofthereef

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm using car scanner. It was showing zero error codes for me. Maybe I'm somehow using it wrong? When I sent the clear commands it was clearing the dash lights. So it does work that way. But when I look for codes it claims there's nothing there.

12. cthindi

cthindi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is a free app called 'Hybrid Auto Doctor' which explicitly shows all readiness flags. It is available on Android. I do not know if it is available on iPhone. It should work with your Bluetooth ODB adapter.

13. lordofthereef

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There's.doesnt seem.to be. But I have an older Android phone that I could bootnup and see if it works with. Might require some.sim card swapping thoguh.

14. cthindi

cthindi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If it is older phone and you do not want to use it, why swap the sim? You could just install the app over wifi and connect OBDII using Bluetooth. Also I mistyped the App name. It is 'OBD Auto Doctor'

15. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think they mean Dr. Prius... Also buying OBD2 is problematic, so read this first: Hybrid battery diagnostic and repair tool for Toyota and Lexus

16. lordofthereef

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I guess I assumed internet was required for the app to run but I guess it makes sense. Once the app is installed all of the information on any codes is stored locally?

17. lordofthereef

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II