1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replaced Brake Actuator. How do I reset the system??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by priustruck, Feb 7, 2022.

1. priustruck

priustruck New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everyone!
    I am grateful for all the useful expertise here on the forum. I've managed to replace my failed brake actuator. All mechanical and electric connections double checked.
    I am still getting the high pitched brake tone and warning lights - skid, abs, red car outline on multi display. Initially the car wouldn't even let me shift into gear, but after cycling the power and doing the paper-clip-jumper/8brake pedal pushes, I have been able to get the car in gear and drive around the block. The issue feels essentially the same as when I started - christmas tree level warning lights and it takes a lot of effort to actuate the brakes (but at least now now the burning smell is gone!)

I need to figure out whether this is some kind of safe mode or if the new(used) component is bad.

I have a mini VCI with software on order and it should arrive tomorrow. I'm sorry I don't have codes yet.
    Can anyone please help me with the codes I should expect?
    Will I be able to reset the braking system with techstream?
    Other tutorials seem to indicate that the system will lock several key solenoids if it detects anomalies and then a trip to the dealership is necessary - does anyone know what they use to reset the system?
    thanks so much
    y'all are heroes

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Did you perform all the required follow-on procedures after replacing the actuator module? Or did you replace the module and then just fire up the car?

priustruck likes this.
  3. priustruck

priustruck New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just turned the car on. Was not aware that there were additional procedures necessary. What did I miss?

4. priustruck

priustruck New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is anyone able to let me know what these 'required follow-on procedures' are?
    I'm planning to do the tech stream bleed procedure for actuator replacement.
    Is there anything else needed?
    I thought I had followed all other steps carefully and properly - none of the tutorials I saw mentioned 'required follow-on procedures' so I want to make sure I'm not missing anything else here.
    Thanks again everyone
    -m

5. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base

Attached Files:

#5 alftoy, Feb 8, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2022
  6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In general, there isn't any secret knowledge about it that you need to have. Of course it needs to be bled after replacement, because there will be air in the system. You use Techstream for that, and it gives you choices of quick brake bleeding (for when the only work done has been at the wheels) or of bleeding after the actuator has been replaced, and of course you replaced the actuator so you choose that.

Afterward, there might also be some other procedures needed, like relearning the linear solenoid offset, but you won't have to guess about those. The brake system will set a trouble code for any "follow-on procedure" that it wants you to do. If it needs to learn the solenoid offset, it will set code C1345, and when you read that code, you'll see that it means the linear solenoid offset needs to be learned, so you'll go to that procedure in Techstream and do that. And so on.