1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

replaced coolant diverter valve but nothing from bleed screw

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mattbatson, Mar 19, 2019.

1. mattbatson

mattbatson Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2009 with 160k miles.
    bought it a couple years ago with 80k miles.

have had the check engine light for the diverter valve for about 6 months and just now got around to doing it. Figured since I was in there, would do the inverter coolant pump as have no idea if it was ever replaced before I bought the car.

So, I used the burping method with the radiator hose, and then did the trick of jump the relay with my volt meter to run the pump. Initially got 1.5 amps as it was mostly pushing air. But as I went I got it to where it was consistently using 4 amps when I would jump across to run the coolant storage tank (or whatever it's called)

The entire time doing this I had a 1/4 inch clear hose from the bleed screw (for the radiator) running over to the funnel and immersed in the coolant. I had that bleed screw open the entire time but never got any coolant through it?

The radiator does not seem to be taking anymore coolant. Everything seems full.

I have idled it with the heater on, and have no engine codes and I'm getting heat.

I just went out and opened up the bleed screw while the engine was warm and running, but still nothing coming out of the bleed screw?

Does this mean the system is not fully bled?

I'm getting ready to go drive it for a bit and see what happens...

2. mattbatson

mattbatson Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    quick question...

does leaving either the bleed screw, or radiator cap...or both...off overnight...maybe with the front end jacked up...work to burp out any last air ?
    this is who we used to do it in the old days ;)

3. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    You are aware that the inverter cooling system is separate from the ICE cooling system, correct? Running the inverter pump will not bleed air from the ICE cooling system, which is the one with the 3 way valve you replaced.

I would think that you would want to do this but let the car stay in Ready mode for several hours to bleed the air out of the ICE cooling system. Also, be sure the heater is turned on.

Edit: Added comment about heater.

mattbatson likes this.
  4. mattbatson

mattbatson Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Hey,
    Yes I'm aware of the different coolant systems...bleeding the inverter system was insanely easy.

The ice seemed pretty easy also...but I cannot tell if it is fully bled or not?

How do you know?

it seems like all is well...but I was concerned with no fluid coming out of the radiator bleed screw...

davecook89t likes this.
  5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You will know that the engine coolant system is bled if you get heat out of the cabin ventilation system and do not hear air bubbling in the heater core. The CHRS pump will run at engine shutdown without making unusual noises. The radiator fluid level will remain full when you remove the radiator cap for inspection.

6. mattbatson

mattbatson Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

thank you for that....I have been driving it and have had to add only a couple ounces...and it seems like it is full now. Heat worked immediately.
    Using your trick of bypassing the electrical connector to run the pump without starting the car worked really well and was key to the whole procedure.
    I think I needed some assurance as I never saw a drop from the bleed screw.

Hopefully this might help others who do the procedure and find the same thing.

jerrymildred likes this.
  7. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The bleeder screw height is very close to the same as the radiator fill tube. I was using a funnel to fill my wife's radiator after replacing her valve. The funnel sealed well enough that the coolant would pile up in the funnel and push coolant out the bleeder into my clear hose. That made it easy to tell when the bubbles stopped. Even after I couldn't get any more bubbles, I had to add a couple ounces every day for a few days. The level never got below the elbow at the bottom of the radiator fill tube, but it did drop a little bit. After a few days, it stayed completely full.

mattbatson likes this.