1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replaced coolant....still a bit below the full line.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by G Man v5, Jul 3, 2019.

1. G Man v5

G Man v5 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just replaced my engine coolant with Super Duper Long Life Toyota 50/50. Drained completely, and refilled. After filling with one gallon, it is still about an inch below the full line...(where it was when I drained). Does it really matter if it is only a bit under? If so, would it be terribly harmful to fill the difference with distilled water? (making the mix probably 51/49?)....

I already replaced the inverter coolant and have another 40,000+ miles remaining on that, so I really don't want to have to purchase another gallon just for a few ounces....

Thanks.

2. GrGramps

GrGramps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    If it was an inch below full when you drained I would wonder there is a leak. That would prompt me to fill to the full mark. Proper coolant is very inexpensive compared to engine rebuilding!

It's your turn to roll the dice.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think it's less than an inch between the high and low marks on the engine coolant reservoir?

I'd cave, get another gallon and top it up, but I'm a bit OCD. It's not going to break the bank (my wife's favourite expression...), and you'll be able to use it eventually. Or if you never use it, just donate what's left to a Toyota dealership (though they may need to just recycle it, for security reasons).

Full disclosure: I've got near-full gallons of Toyota and Honda coolant.

4. G Man v5

G Man v5 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok...so it won't degrade over time?

5. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    put some cling wrap between the container & the lid; as long as it can't react with oxygen it should last quite a while /

6. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It will degrade a lot more slowly in its original container than it would in an engine, assuming you put the cap back on.

7. jack black

jack black Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    maybe i don't understand the question, but if level is between low and high, it's normal and no corrective action needed, unless you are the OCD type.

8. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Me too.
    Then.....depending on where you live, it probably would be perfectly fine to add a few ounces of distilled water.
    If you are anywhere near the Canadian border, then maybe not.

9. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Caved in a few times myself. Both coolant tubs sits an half inch above the full mark. Long as this doesn’t hurt in any way, 10 out of 10 times I’ll fill over a bit Excluding crankcase. My philosophy is that the more volume there is, the less diluted it will be with contaminates.

10. G Man v5

G Man v5 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the answers. Went back to the dealer, and I asked the parts guy if there was any way to purchase a few ounces or so....He was surprised that one gallon was not enough. Surprisingly, he brought out a gallon, and topped it off! Nice service!

RMB, Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.