1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replaced front wheel bearing - new noise

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by miked722, Mar 24, 2018.

1. miked722

miked722 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just replaced both front wheel bearings in my 2007 with 126k miles. The symptom before was a loud humming that was worst at 32 and 64 mph. I would guess the frequency was about the wheel rotation speed.

The left bearing was definitely bad, as you spun in by hand you could feel a bit of grinding and hear some noise. I replaced both sides with Timken brand bearings.

Now, at all speeds, there is a low frequency noise that is loudest at highway speed where it is about 1/second in frequency. At lower speeds (30-40) you can barely hear it, but you can feel the vibration at a slower frequency. Acceleration/braking/coasting is all the same. Left/right turning is similar in sound.

Any ideas? I put on my summer fronts (took off winter fronts) and the noise is similar.

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Brake disc to hub fitment? Did you clean the rust and junk from inside the brake disks? Just a peace of sandpaper works well for this.

3. miked722

miked722 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I used a wire brush. I'm thinking now that my test drives never included braking hard enough to activate the disc brakes. I just got finished taking it all back apart with no obvious issues. I'll clean the rotors again, re-assemble, and hit the brakes harder this time around...

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. miked722

miked722 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Re-assembled after using wire brush and sand paper on inside of brake discs. Braked hard a few times (and got out and could smell a bit of brake pad). Noise still persisted at all speeds, still worse at higher speeds.

5. miked722

miked722 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So I think I've figured it out. I replaced one of the new bearings with the better of the old bearing and the noise is gone. I must have received a bum new bearing. Now to call parksgeek and remedy the situation.

bisco and Raytheeagle like this.