1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replaced inverter coolant pump and heat control valve, don’t know what to do!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Bmg8413, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Bmg8413

Bmg8413 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2007 Prius, 189K miles.
    As title says, my mechanic changed both of these.
    After that, I was driving on the highway for about 20 miles when all the dash lights came on. (Red ! triangle, engine, and yellow (!) brake warning light). After a while, the a/c stopped being cold. I had the codes read and got these:
    B1271 (I had the no lights on dash/car not turn off problem one time, I know it’s a bad combo meter)
    B1650
    B1421
    C1241
    C1256
    P0a93

I know P0a93 usually points to a band inverter coolant pump, which I had replaced after the dealership also told me that was likely the problem.
    Any thoughts? I’ve put in about $1000 fixing these things and a few others and the car is worth somewhere between $2,200-$4,000 according to Blue Book. I don’t want to put more into it than it’s worth, obviously.
    Thanks in advance!

2. Bmg8413

Bmg8413 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I meant bad inverter coolant pump, sorry.

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    An inverter overheats due to lack of coolant flow, or it could be a false indication due to a failed sensor.
    A lack of coolant flow can be due to a pump failure, or clogged coolant passages, or it wasn't vented properly to remove air pockets when pump was replaced.

Do you have any phone apps that allow you to monitor the coolant temperature for the engine and inverter systems?

Raytheeagle and SFO like this.
  4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    With the car in Ready take the cap off the inverter coolant reservoir and with a flashlight look inside the reservoir at the behavior of the coolant. Since it has fresh coolant it should look like the fluid is boiling
    As it has very aggressive flow. That’s the way my coolant looks very very bubbling boiling look to it.
    Good flow.

I assume you flushed the inverter loop and installed all new coolant using Toyota LLC coolant and bled it properly?
    It’s the most important coolant loop.

Lastly you must have a Prius capable obd code reader it must have techstream software if not it may not
    Pull all hybrid codes alerting you to a hybrid battery failure which will probably be next on your list of car woes.

The fact that you lost ac tells me it may be hybrid battery related anyway as that’s the first thing that happens when the hybrid battery fails it disconnects the high volt load to the ac system to preserve itself.

Get a proper code reading.