1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replaced MFD did not fix problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Nazbuster, Feb 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Nazbuster

Nazbuster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've had a bizarre situation where I cannot turn off my air conditioning, changing the temperature causes the vent configuration to change, I cannot display trip information from the steering wheel etc. What happens is that if I touch one of the vent buttons or the AC button, it greys out for a moment then returns to its prior setting. I cannot manually change vents; if I change the temperature settings, the vent selections change by themselves.

I thought this looked like a bad MFD, so I purchased a new one and installed it. Unfortunately, all the same problems exist plus I now have a large triangle with an ! In it.

If the problem was not a bad MFD, what could be causing all of this?

Forgot to mention that this is a 2005 Prius

Followup: I ran the engine for awhile and the Warning triangle disappeared as did the symbol indicating a bad HV Battery Pack. I'm now back to a squirrely MFD display that won't allow me to turn off AC and the steering wheel button for Info that doesn't work.

#1 Nazbuster, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  2. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Main ECU?

What is the condition of the 12v Battery? Our ECU's can not tolerate a weak 12v battery.

3. Nazbuster

Nazbuster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Replaced the battery a few months ago.

4. Nazbuster

Nazbuster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    UPDATE: Given that the weird behavior of my MFD did not change when the MFD was replaced, I decided it was time to take it to the dealer for a diagnostic. As a reminder, here's what was going on:

• AC stuck on. tapping the button caused it to grey out for a few seconds then return in the ON state.
    • Changing temperature (via steering wheel or touch screen) caused the vent selection to change
    • I could change fan speed with no issues.
    • I could invoke the INFO display ONLY from the MFD, not the steering wheel.
    • Other than temperature changes, I could not select a different vent setting successfully: button would grey the return to old setting.
    Well, the dealer service technician came out and saw the problem. He then starting tapping buttons all over the place: defrost, Auto, Off, vents, AC, etc.. over and over again. All of a sudden, everything started working correctly! He had no idea why nor did I.

I drove out hoping it would stay this way.

If anyone has a clue what might have gone wrong, I'm still interested since I have no idea whether this fix is permanent. I'm also wondering if I should take the time and trouble to remove the new MFD so I can return it for a refund. I'm inclined not to mess with success!

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When you replaced the MFD, was the 12V battery disconnected during that activity?

It sounds like your car either has an intermittent electrical connection which may return, or the air conditioning amplifier had a glitch stored within which caused the symptoms. When the buttons were pressed, that may have caused the AC amplifier to reset.

If the newly installed MFD was costly, and you have the opportunity to return it, then you may want to exert the effort to remove it to see whether the original MFD is functional.

6. Nazbuster

Nazbuster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, battery remained connected. Everything came up ok except warning triangle which disappeared after awhile. The malfunctioning ac and vents continued as before the MFD swap.

Only the wild button pressing by the tech cleared the issue! I dont know which manual page describes that procedure. <G>

7. Dion Kraft

Dion Kraft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well that wild button pressing sequence are really are controls which are not documented for the general public. They are kinda like those "eastern eggs" hidden in software. Just like in any industry they can be called "Back Doors" as well. Every industry has em'
    You would have to get the technical or repair manual to gain this know how: Speaking of which...check this out..

Entering the Maintenance or Inspection Mode on a Prius (1st Gen and 2nd Gen) &laquo; Russ&#039; Do It Yourself Home Workshop