1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replaced my FOB battery but it still won't work.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Alex andran, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Alex andran

Alex andran New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So a couple days ago my key fob randomly stopped working. I search around the internet and found a youtube video describing how to replace the battery. I used a CR2032 battery. However, my keyfob still won't unlock my car.

Unfortunately, I bought it used and didn't receive a manual key with it (derp moment, I didn't even know there was one!) so I have no idea if it would even start my car.

When I replaced the battery the red LED light flashed for maybe 10 seconds then stopped. It then doesn't flash if I hit lock or unlock.

Any ideas as to what the problem could be? Is it time to just bite the bullet and buy a new key fob?

2. TBurnham

TBurnham Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    does your car have sks ? are you sure that the new battery is inserted in the fob correctly (positive side up and all four screws are tightened down) ? If you take it out and back in again and it starts blinking - put it into the key slot for synching.
    You can start the car by unlocking the door with the blade key. At the bottom of the fob their should be a little black button/switch/tab that is spring loaded and moves to the right with this tab slid to the right pull down on the metal hook (where other keys are attached) and out should come your metal key blade for the door. Do you still have no door key ( and their is a corner of your fob missing( has a notch in it where they key would go ?)
    *Even if the key blade is missing and the battery on the fob is dead you should still be able to start your car by inserting it in the key slot. If you have SKS you may have to manually de-activate it by pressing the small button labeled key under your steering column.
    Let us know where you are after trying ?
    Tom

3. Jay1974

Jay1974 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just a little side note if anyone runs into a problem with your fob after replacing the lithium battery. Make sure you peel off the hazardous waste sticker that is attached to the battery before inserting it into the fob. When I replaced mine, I had a brain cramp and thought the sticker was actually part of the battery. That oversight won't happen again!

mivyh2 likes this.
  4. mivyh2

mivyh2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks you so much for this post! After easily switching out the battery on my FOB I could not figure out what I did wrong after toying around for awhile on two FOBS. A quick search and I found your post. I didn't even realize that there were stickers on the back of my batteries- mine were warning to not give to babies. Life saver!