1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replaced my HV Battery from a low mileage 2013 on my 2006 Prius.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Carlos R, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Carlos R

Carlos R New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So as the title says I did a HV Battery swap, and it is like nothing changed for my MPG, I am still around 38-40.

My old battery had 220k Miles on it, and it did charge up and discharge very quickly.

This new battery charges and discharges with better capacity. I know this is a good battery because it takes a long long time to charge up.

Old battery It would get all green bars on a small hill.

I know for a fact the 12 volt battery was disconnected, and I have read that the ECU takes a while to get back on tract, but how much of a difference should that make, and it is a gradual process?

The catalytic converter had some work done on it, could that be something, or the engine?

2. Carlos R

Carlos R New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry I really thought I was posting this in the 2nd Gen forum.

bisco likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no problem, just report your post and ask mods to move it.

hard to say if hv battery was an mpg problem. at 220k, it could be a lot of things. how is the 12v health? what are you running for tyres and pressure? is it a hundred degrees everyday?
    do you have records of mpg's as measured at the pump by date? what were they at their peak, when did they start to decline, and how long time/miles until they bottomed out? does she burn much oil?
    i would wait a couple tanks before making a judgement.

4. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't read how long it takes the ECU to adjust to your driving style, but it's fair to expect lower than ideal fuel economy while it's in transition and I'd guess it takes a couple thousand miles to get there. Your tires could also have an effect on fuel economy if they're not designed for low rolling resistance or underinflated. What was your MPG before you started to have battery problems?

5. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's a lot of ICE items that should be addressed by 220K miles: spark plugs, mass airflow sensor (MAF), throttle body, PCV, engine air filter. These should be done every 100K miles, I'd say.