1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replaced SKS FOB Housing/Case No Start in Ignition Slot

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ken Murray, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Ken Murray

Ken Murray Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I replaced my housing/case for my SKS fob to a new one I bought on eBay. The internal electronics were fairly easy to take out and put into the new case, but the problem is that the key fob will now only work when it is not in the ignition slot. I followed the steps that were posted in this forum to do the "chicken dance", but it hasn't affected how the car does not start in the ignition slot. Everything works with it outside the ignition slot, but my wife likes to be able to use it with it in.

The new case looks virtually like the old one, but am I missing something for it not to be able to start in ignition slot?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The GEN2 keyfobs (2004-2009) have a transponder chip in them as well as the circuit board. Sounds like you didn't transfer the transponder chip. It's a separate chip about 1/2" by 1/8" by 1/8", no connectors.

srellim234, WilDavis and Patrick Wong like this.
  3. Ken Murray

Ken Murray Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  4. Bravotango

Bravotango Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is the only mention I have seen of this and, I just was saved by this thread. So, I figure I'd post a pic to help others as the chip is small and I tossed the old housing but was lucky to be able to get it.

Attached Files:

WilDavis, SFO and RobH like this.